General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Im certain my mechanic junkyard swapped me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 11:38 PM
Default Im certain my mechanic junkyard swapped me.

***2012 Ford Flex 3.5 duratec

I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong spot, I'm on a wild goose chase all over the web.

Im certain my mechanic junkyard swapped me.

About 5 weeks ago the wife left home, cold start, made it about 3 miles. She called and said the vehicle was over heating, steaming, and that she had stopped and shut the vehicle off. When I arrived from home, coolant was boiling out of the weep hole of the water pump into the valley. I am aware of the water pump issues of this engine, and against my better judgement I had it towed to a respected mechanic in my area.

After 5 weeks and nearly $3k, we drove it home Monday the 20th. Less than a week, and 50 miles later it spiked in temp, made a "poof" noise like a hose or gasket, then began to stumble. Water everywhere.

​​​​​​Here's where I start to get pissed. It looks to me that the valve cover from our original engine was placed on a swapped motor. The service receipt suggests that the primary and secondary chains, tensioners, guides, water pump, and fluids were replaced. But the engine is covered in sand, dirt, grime. The front valve cover shows no sign of being removed. Alternatively the rear cover, that conveniently bears the serial number of the engine, does show signs of recent wrenching. In fact, the fasteners that seem to show signs of recent work are those only required to remove the engine.

I need help. Can duratec owners only really be sure that the valve cover belongs to the original vehicle? Or are there other identifiers that can be compared to determine if my accusations are correct?

Last edited by LowBlackFast; 12-30-2021 at 01:50 PM. Reason: ***
Old 12-30-2021, 12:25 PM

Rotten way to end out the year

Old 12-30-2021, 01:34 PM

May I recommend you specify what model, year, engine your vehicle has.