General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

low performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Default low performance

Have a 95 Probe GT since new & performance is 17.03 @ 91 in the 1/4 and it surges sometimes at steady speeds mileage is 17 at best
Vehicle has 16,000 miles and I have no check engine light
Have had it at several repair places over the years
Power is low until around 5-7000 rpm
To me it seems like the cam timing is not correct and maybe a computer issue with the surging sometimes but I am looking for other ideas

Old 08-12-2013, 01:36 PM

Just my thoughts as I don't know how the vehicle has been stored/taken care of...

With about only 950-1000 gallons consumed over 18 years (I probably burn that in a year), I would have to assume that there is some serious cleaning to be done on the fuel system along with some new ignition items...

I would clean the throttle body and IAC, run a tank of fuel with injector cleaner in it, then replace the fuel filter after running the injector cleaner to allow the old filter to collect any crud that may have come loose from the tank forward from the injector cleaner. Then I would inspect the old fuel filter to see what is actually in it.

Then I would replace the plugs and wires at a minimum and probably go for a new coil.

New air filter (check fro critter nests in the intake .

I would also flush the cooling system and install some fresh coolant to bring your cooling systems additive package up to date.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Gee whiz, a '95 Probe. As I've said, I shall never cry that I DON'T have to work on another Probe.
A '95 was a good (as far as that got) year for the Probe. I worked on a lot of these.
I would start by checking the base timing (remember to ground the TEN terminal in the diag. connector) and see if the PCM advance/retards it.
Then, these had a history of weak secondary ignition systems, usually caused by misfiring due to defectvie wires/plugs. This could sometimes be caused (and especially at this age) by the valve cover gaskets leaking into the plug wells.
Then, check the rubber hose going from the VAF to the throttle body; be sure to check it completely around it. These had a history of creating hard to replicate concerns, and never caused a CEL.
Also, scan for codes (good luck; I still have the Super MECS adaptor for this!)

Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 AM

I think there may be problem with wheel adapter or you have to properly check up the problem by nearby mechanic or auto shop. If steering wheel is worn out then i recommend to go through Wheel Adapters | Steering Wheel Hub Adapters or check interior section of this site, hope you will find everything that you need for your car's steering wheel.