General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need a model suggestion for my first resto project

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 12:36 AM
Default Need a model suggestion for my first resto project

Hi. I'm new to the board and I've come to see if the good people here can help me narrow down a pickup truck model to focus on as a rebuild project. Lately I've been learning some about the 60-66 trucks and decided this is the style I'd like to focus on. But before I get into the project details, a little about myself..

I'm a self taught reasonably competent mechanic that's been doing all my car maintenance (except deep engine, clutch or trans work) for the last 20 years or so. I have some body (bondo, primer and wet sanding) experience but haven't done much in the way of dent removal or panel replacement. Although I don't have a lot of welding experience mig welding comes naturally enough. If I don't know how to do something I ask questions, and with good advice can usually get the job done.

So, what I'm looking for.. Basically I'd like to find a good, what I'd call 'atomic era' truck of early to mid 60s (or 50s possibly) to get into good shape and use as a work truck. After getting it right mechanically and with a great body and paint job, it would be used primarily to travel to bid on residential and commercial painting jobs. Basically it would be used as a selling point to illustrate the quality of work we do as a company.

Requirements for the truck is to be gas efficient, which would probably mean an in-line 6 engine paired with an auto trans w/ overdrive. And to be comfortable and drivable... meaning power steering, disc brakes and a/c. It would need to handle stop and go city driving, as well as be able to do short hops of 65 mph safely on the interstate. Hauling duties would be minimal.

The model I've gotten to know best so far are the 60-66 Chevy c10s, although I'm open to just about anything including the same era f100s or Internationals, or I even sort of like the 50s Chevy Advance Design models.

So that's about it. You guys have an opinion on what model trucks of this era would be a good candidate for what I'm looking to do?

Old 08-29-2017, 10:47 PM

bump.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Well,, if it were my project,, I'd look towards a model that OE parts and mod pieces were the most plentiful.

Generally costs follow availability as well. May be limited with International offerings.
Any old iron of the 50-60's would require a fair amount of engineering and labor, (space, tools!), OE parts sourcing if anything body/chassis is missing, and to bring it up to 'comfort' levels,, power steering, power disc brakes, A/C and such. Project info, images, parts, and typical builds may be easier to source and gather needed hardware for the specifics you'd like to add in to your project.

Build time comes into play, some take many years, more so with the condition of the selected project truck you start with. $$ unless the project is already Bank rolled. Or save, build as you go tends to extend finish times. Meaning, if the project truck has Rust (mod-extensive) 50-60's most likely will have some rust/structural issues,, time to correct it, costs involved or sourcing donor pieces and weather or not you do the work yourself. Same with welding, fab work, engine builds etc. Engine/trans choices would be the easier part IMO

I've built quite a few ground up ol Ford trucks, and it's always a larger project than the original plan..Fun, yes, why the hell did I ever start this project, yes.. But the finish project is well worth the time and investment when you building what you want.. Back in the late 70's we were building F series 250/350 with Perkins and Detroits. It all involves available shop space, time, funding, engineering, tools, and of course skills levels. If a good portion of the work has to be farmed out, the cost of the build in nearly every case can't be or is never recovered. If that's part of the equation..

That said, sounds like s project I'd like to come together..!