General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Throttle Position Sensor expertise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 12:53 PM
KAP
Default Need Throttle Position Sensor expertise

I have a 2009 E350 12 passenger van with the 5.4 engine. I've had intermittent TPS issues over the years and even had the entire throttle body replaced about 4 years ago.

The problem now is that the engine will suddenly go into limp mode, with the "wrench" light coming on. The code says a TPS issue. For a couple of years, I could disconnect the negative battery terminal and discharge the system, thus doing a "reset" on the computer and that would fix the problem, sometimes for over a year without having a single issue. But now the reset no longer works and the van goes into limp mode as soon as it starts to re-calibrate idle speed. Last night we got stranded on a lonely road, an hour from home, in a thunderstorm. Fun.

My question is, before I replace a TPS, which is more likely to be the culprit, the TPS on the throttle body or the one on the accelerator pedal?
Both are expensive, even for DIY, so I would hate to guess wrong.

Thanks for any help on this.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM

I'm having the exact same issue. Ive replaced that sensor 3 times in a year now
did you ever find out what it was

Old 08-20-2017, 06:04 PM
KAP

Bill,
My original code was a P2111, Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open.
I replaced the TPS and no change. I then replaced the throttle body with a used one and again, no change.
I then replaced the accelerator pedal and sensor with a used one and no change still.
So finally I took it to the Ford dealership since I figured that they would be able to at least diagnose what the true problem was and then I could decide what to do about it.

Turns out I had two places where the wiring harness had become old and brittle and the voltage going to the throttle body TPS and/or actuator motor was too low.
Ford replaced a couple of wiring harness "pigtails" and charged me a $135 electrical tracing fee and $150 repair fee including parts and labor. Grand total was right at $300.00.
I made a video about it here:
Hope this helps.

Last edited by KAP; 08-20-2017 at 06:07 PM.