General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Default Overheating

1998 Bronco; 302; Towing package, normal ford gauges, didn't appear to be running any hotter than usual.
I towed our 19' ski boat to the marina last week. When I pulled into the driveway, the oil pressure gauge showed that I had no pressure at idle. I checked the oil (when it cooled) and found it didn't even register on the stick. So I filled it with oil and ran it without the boat on the back, she ran fine. I picked the boat up from the marina and when I got home the gauge reacted the same way. This time I still had oil, but smoke was coming from the dipstick and tube. What is that all about?
Additionally, I went to pull a plug to run a compression test and the plug broke in the socket (brittle), coincedence?
I have towed the boat many times before and this is the first time for this.
I have some ideas, but need help diagnosing this one. My thoughts:
1. "air bubble" in the cooling system allowing block to get hot?
2. Plugs/wires bad not allowing good combustion in all cylinders and getting hot enough to superheat oil?
3. Head gasket bad and only expanding during heavy loads? (i hope not)

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:51 AM
Default RE: Overheating

WARRREN ,

Don't know what is causing your overheatng but I know it would never happen if you used a Davies, Craig, EWP - electric watr pump - as a booster to your exisiting pump. It goes in the lower radiator hose and wires up direct to the battery through a simple on/off thermal switch. The EWP will run when the engine gets too hot and boost what the exisitng pump is doing by an extra 80 l/min and it will run after a hot shut down to cool the engine evenly and prevent gasket damage.More info at www.daviescraig.com.au
Richard Davies MD Davies Craig

Old 10-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Default RE: Overheating

I would think about looking at the water pump, Depending on how many mile are on your engine, the veins in the pump may be worn out and it cant circulate the anti freeze, Maybe the engine needs to be flushed maybe some of the water jackets ar blocked causing the oil to superheat. I think I would also do an oil pressure test at this point to make sure you haven't ruined the oil pump.