General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Pin hole leaks at top of radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Default Pin hole leaks at top of radiator

I came across this forum trying to research how to fix my leaking radiator. I have a '93 E-150 Van with about 180K miles. It's my work truck and with work the way it is I really don't want to be putting $$ into this beast.

It has 3 pinhole leaks along the top of the radiator. I'm not a real experienced car guy and normally I'd just throw some stop leak into the radiator and hope for the best but I'm thinking the stop leak isn't going to get to the leaks along the top. Is that right?

Is stop leak the best/simplest way to go here and if so, is there a best brand?

I seem to remember on an old E-150 I had in the past that stop leak seemed to clog the radiator up. Is that likely to be an issue?

Thanks,
John

Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 PM

There are all sorts of coolant leak fixes available including "black pepper".
A lot depends on where the leaks are. Some products work better than others and what might work for one won't work for another so you might have to try more than one. Something to keep in mind is that not only will the radiator have a chance to clog so also can the heater core if you need the heater etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM

I had to look up the black pepper reference. Who'd a thunk it?

I think I"m going to go with something longer lasting. I guess I'll wirebrush the spots first then glob some epoxy on it. If that doesn't work I'll start thinking stop leak.

Thanks,
John

Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Not meaning to prove I do things I shouldn’t, but I had an elderly woman come to me last summer, her son hit a branch in the road and it busted the lower radiator hose and broke the tip off the drain plug (non-replaceable). As a “temporary” fix, I ground the drain plug flush with the radiator, sanded it with 80-grit paper to roughen the surface and packed it good with J-B Weld. As I said, temporary fix, although I have yet to see her return for a radiator installation and she drives by 3 to 4 times a week. Whichever course you take, best of luck to you.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 PM

I often do things I shouldn't and it's surprising how well they can work! I had a former work truck that had a slow drip from the middle of the gas tank. I cleaned it off really well with acetone, sanded it with a slow grind under my thumb, mixed up some bondo (didn't have epoxy), took a final swipe with the acetone (as the gas was dripping out) and slapped a wad of bondo on it. It lasted for years and I sold that van without ever even thinking about it again.

Certainly I can use epoxy on a radiator...
I'll be trying it in the morning.
:-)

Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Solder is a good option also if it has the metal top radiator. Memory aint the best anymore.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 PM

It is metal but coated with a plastic/rubber material. I started it up today and ran it for a while because I needed it to steam out the pin holes so I could locate them. Only I filled the radiator when I first noticed the pinholes and now it never got hot enough to steam. I'm not sure I can find the holes now...

Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM

Spray a mixture of dishsoap and water on the outside of the radiator and look for bubbles.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by way2old
Spray a mixture of dishsoap and water on the outside of the radiator and look for bubbles.
That kind of advice is exactly why forums are one of my favorite sources of information. Thanks!