General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

please help not my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Default please help not my truck

I'm sorry this is so long I just want to try to explain it all. The truck is a 2011 Ford F 250 Super Duty. The truck has no features, no nav system, no CD player, no power locks, no power windows, base model truck. I am installing a few accessories on the work truck a beacon, cargo lights, reverse beeper, etc..

I have a switch panel with self illuminating toggle switches. I sent power to the switches by tapping into my fuse panel inside the cab. I tapped into the fuse using a fuse tap thingy (I don't know if there's a proper name for it) The first fuse slot I tried was number 42 (I think). It says not used and only had power when the truck was on. I used a 5 amp fuse for my switches. When I hit one of my switches it blew the fuse. So like a retard I tried a 10 amp fuse. That fuse blew too, so I put in a 15 it also blew. I know how wrong this was but I put a 20 amp fuse in instead of blowing the fuse I was working with, it blew something else. Then I lost power to that fuse slot and the fuse slots around it. I'm not sure how many slots lost power, because they didn't all have power to begin with. I know 2 above and 2 below lost power for sure. And maybe 1 or 2 to the left of slot 42. I know this is stupid but since those slots no longer have power and I dont know what happened. I went ahead and tried a different fuse slot number 37. This time when I hit my switch it blew the ignition fuse number 28. That is when I realized I seriously have a problem, and I went over my wiring. I then realized that I had wired my switches wrong. The pins for the ground, I wired to my accessories. The pins that were supposed to be for my accessories, I grounded. So when I was hitting my switch I was sending 20 amps of power to my ground. I grounded the switches to the shiny piece of metal behind the center dash underneath the stereo. I corrected my wiring picked a different fuse slot and everything is working fine now. But my airbag light, my traction control light, a little symbol of a wrench in the message control center is now on, and it says service advancetrac. I also still have those multiple slots with no power I checked a few fuses (they are hard to get out) and they're all good.

I really hope by me sending 20 amps of power to that peace of metal behind my dash I didn't seriously screw something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks its my bosses truck.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:28 PM

it was fuse 56 under the hood... Not sure what I did exactly but I blew fuse 56 .... I think that fuse protects the fuse panel in the passenger compartment