General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering Rebuild, Pulling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Default Power Steering Rebuild, Pulling Problem

I just rebuilt my 73 Mustang power steering unit (steering box, all new seals and bearings) and installed a new pump with hoses. The steering wants to pull left all the way to the end. Anyone have any ideas on what would cause this, I thought it might be air in the steering box that i just rebuilt but have worked that back and forth quite a bit and believe I have gotten the air out. Help!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:32 PM
Old 05-23-2016, 05:43 PM

There should be what we refer to as a spool valve in the upper portion of the steering box. It sounds like one of the sealing rings is broken/damaged. If you carefully remove and disassemble the upper section you may be able to confirm if that is the problem.
Getting the new parts will present a different problem because I do not know where they might be obtained. Hopefully someone that has the answer for you may be able to help with that.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the greeting Alanah and thanks for the heads up, I am in the process of pulling the unit apart again and checking the rings (seals) for damage. The spool valve is something I am not familiar with but have a shop manual and will research that part. I was more concerned that I missed some step for bleeding the unit and having air trapped. Parts are available but quality of parts might be my problem.
thanks again.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Does sound like one of the nylon rings has failed...

Old 06-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Default A4 od woes

91, E250,5.8, E4 OD, lost overdrive, wasn't slipping all other gears work fine stopped working after trying to hit passing gear resulting in bad slip them huge bang then no overdrive. No code in obd1. No burnt fluid, no metal in pan, overdrive light works, not flashing, turns on and off but still no overdrive, checked all electrical plugs and speedo drive gears. Shifts all three gears in drive except overdrive or can shift manualy with same result. Any help at all be greatly appreciated thanks In advance Steve

Old 06-23-2016, 07:38 PM

Don't know for sure if this is the problem with your trans, but there is an Overdrive Servo retaining lock ring that has been known to break and cause symptoms similar to those you are seeing. It requires that the valve body be removed to see the problem , but it is easy to see if that is the problem. Removing the broken pieces and replacing the lock ring was the solution to that problem.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 PM

Thank you for that I information, have shift kit coming will be sure to look for that while valve body is out. Thank you again, seeing how I'm in a wheelchair and it's my only wheels any info is greatly appreciated, you have no idea how much, trying get by on social security leaves a monster rebuilt totally out of the picture, thanks again

Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 AM

There will always be someone that is willing to help someone in need just as you probably did before you hit hard times, you just need to ask and search around.

That's why some of us are on this forum !

Old 06-24-2016, 07:23 AM

I run small Welding and car repair shop from my two car garage at home put below ground twin post gilbarco lift in front of garage 30 years ago. I have helped everybody that has ever come to me with half price Labor, compared to the dealer,. Most people appreciate my help, some ripped me off, because I was nice and let them have their car before I was paid . It was only my friends(ex-friemds) that burnt me, strangers always came back and paid.. So yes I have done my share of helping people. I know what it's like on both need help and give help . Just hate to have ask for help, it's a wheelchair thing like to be self sufficient,any how like I said thank you and any body else that gives me a hand. Steve