General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Restarting help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Default Restarting help

Hello everyone
well this is what i need help with i have a 95 f150. What it is doing. its hard to restart when it is warm ot hot. it starts fine when it is cold but when it gets warmed up u have to hold the gas to the floor to get it to start . i have put new plugs wires and cap and fuel filter in . it runs great when it is running

Old 05-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Default RE: Restarting help

there must be someone out there that can help

Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 AM

hellp please

Old 05-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Ouch,,, kind'a harsh..

After a hot soak making for or duringa hard start, tryholding the throttle 'wide open' just like you'd do to try and clear a flood.. Does it fire right up?

Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 PM

That'll get you some quick help...I personally have been out of town, so I could help until now. Maybe nobody has any ideas about your issue. Did the Chevy guys help you? FORD, CHEVY, it doesn't realy matter....An engine is an engine...Now that I have the early morning sarcasm out of the way, lets look at your problem logically.

All engines work the same...Carb'd or injected.

1. Cold starts need a richer Air/Fuel mixture.
2. Warm starts need a leaner Air/Fuel mixture.

Starts fine when cold, so we know that the COLD START portion is working correctly.

Doesn't start when warm or hot, but will when you hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Sounds like too much fuel on restart.

On a carb'd engine, holding the pedal all the way down increases the air and decreases the fuel, thus adjusting the air/fuel mixture to a leaner condition.

On a fuel injected engine, holding the gas pedal all the way down to the floor shuts off the injectors, thus doing the same air/fuel mixture adjustment.

Have you pulled the plugs when it doesn't start to see if they are wet? You may have a dirty injector(s) that are dribbling when the engine is shut down causing a flooded condition.

When was the last time any type of injector cleaner run thru them?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 AM

sorry about the chevy thing. i put seafoum in it a tank ago. well i can see its getting to much gas. i had them start it and i can see gas coming out of the ex pipe. its not getting any better its getting harder to start.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:40 PM

It may take more than 1 cleaning. may take 3-4 cleanings. Another thing to look at is the fuel pressure regulator. If the diaphram is breached, you can be sucking excess fuel thru the vaccum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vaccum line off the fuel pressure regulator and check for fuel in the line. If there is fuel there, then the regulator needs replaced. The fuel pressure regulator could also be getting STUCK. That will also cause your symptoms. Also, you can put a pressure guage on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and check the fuel pressure at shut down to see if its leaking down thru the injectors. Running pressure should be about 35-40PSI. Pressure should not drop below 30PSI for 5 minutes after shut down. If it does, I would suspect injector leakage. Injectors normally don't wear out, just get dirty with crud.