General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is it time for oil change/filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ford Fusion Owner
Oil life says 25%. Last oil change was 9 months ago but I am ahead few hundred miles from reaching 3,000. I hope I have not waited too long? My concern was the 9 months part.

I read that it’s good to change every 6 months regardless of miles driven?
Go for it before you lose any more sleep.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:37 AM

There are a few variables that come into the picture.

80% of engine wear takes place when the engine is started cold.
If many short trips with a lot of cold starts is the usual picture, a more frequent oil change schedule should be considered.

If most are highway trip miles ,at operating temperature, then an extended length mileage figure could be considered.
As mentioned today's oils ,if good quality synthetic are used , WITH AN OIL FILTER THAT IS MADE FOR SYNTHETIC OIL is used most times the extended mileage schedule can be used.
Of course frequent oil changes when not required can present problems if the person strips the drain plug, allows dirt to get into the oil or overfills the engine among other things.plus the addl cost, if really not required, doesn't help ..

Old 07-14-2022, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by raski
Go for it before you lose any more sleep.
On upcoming Wednesday. What do they mean by extended idle? How long?

Old 07-14-2022, 06:21 PM

Usually around 15 minutes could be considered approx idle time.,,,,,,,,,except when waiting in some drive in lines !

Frequency of oil changes is important , but just as important is using a quality oil and filter.

Last edited by hanky; 07-14-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ford Fusion Owner
On upcoming Wednesday. What do they mean by extended idle? How long?
Your oil life monitor takes all that into consideration. Someone else's opinion of what the level of extended idle is just that, an opinion, not based on any meaningful facts.
My belief is when in doubt, do. You are just talking an oil change not an engine overhaul. I would suggest having an analysis done on a sample of the old oil to learn the condition of your oil and create a baseline for future changes.

Last edited by raski; 07-15-2022 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:26 PM

Does anyone know just how the oil life monitor works and takes all the facts into consideration?

Old 07-20-2022, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Usually around 15 minutes could be considered approx idle time.,,,,,,,,,except when waiting in some drive in lines !

Frequency of oil changes is important , but just as important is using a quality oil and filter.

How long is considered idle when it comes to oil change?

Old 07-20-2022, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by raski
Your oil life monitor takes all that into consideration. Someone else's opinion of what the level of extended idle is just that, an opinion, not based on any meaningful facts.
My belief is when in doubt, do. You are just talking an oil change not an engine overhaul. I would suggest having an analysis done on a sample of the old oil to learn the condition of your oil and create a baseline for future changes.
Got it.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Does anyone know just how the oil life monitor works and takes all the facts into consideration?
Does it take braking into consideration?

Old 07-20-2022, 03:38 PM

23% Oil Life. Just for the Ford Motocraft oil change state inspection.

Quick Reply: Is it time for oil change/filter?