General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tommy Gate on my F-250

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Default Tommy Gate on my F-250

Hi All. I have a Tommy Lift Gate on my Ford F-250 truck and I'm having a weird problem with it. I realize that this probably isn't actually a Ford thing, but I've always found this to be a smart group of people and I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction.
My lift gate comes down in small jumps. It comes back up very slo-o-o-o-wly and needs to be manually pulled up the last 1/4 of the way. The motor sounds good and the battery is great. I've greased the nipples but never added hydraulic (or any) fluids. I assumed that the hydraulics were for the gate's descent only, is that right?
Thank you in advance for any ideas you might have.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:37 AM

From the experience I have had with liftgates all rely on hydraulic pressure to raise them. Some will lower by gravity while others use hydraulics to lower them.

I would suspect the reservoir is low on hydraulic oil and it is pulling air into the system.
Usual fix is to add hydraulic oil to the reservoir and work the gate several times all the way up and all the way down and it will usually work the air out. Some reservoirs have the opening to add oil by removing the breather. Some breathers unscrew and some just pull off.
If you live in a very cold climate there is special hydraulic oil specifically for frigid weather. Most auto supply stores carry the hydraulic oil. The better way I have found to fill the system is to lower the gate all the way down, then add the oil. If you fill the reservoir when it is raised it will push all the excess fluid out when lowered.
Let us know it this was any help for you, thanks.
Make sure the breather is open and clean.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 AM

I agree with Hanky I think it's low on fluid so you might need to give it tlc by fill it up but don't over fill it. and see if that does the trick.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:30 PM

I agree with Grindman, since he agrees with me. Just having a little fun guys !

Old 12-09-2013, 03:03 PM

I'd say bleed and cycle and fill and bleed and cycle. The jump in my estimation are air bubbles?

Like if some of us do, take a turkey baster and suck out as much of the old power steering fluid and refill with new. Do this a few times with the front tires off the ground a bit and fire up the churn and turn lock to lock to cycle the air out of the system and to bring some of the old fluid not sucked up, back into the reservoir.

I do this every year and the brake fluid the same way every year as well.

Good clean fluids. The key to long life and sealed seals. Going on 300k.

skip.