General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

turn key and nothing

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Default turn key and nothing

So my truck stopped starting one day. The battery was good. I tried banging on the starter. I was able to jump the solenoid and get it to start. I bought a new solenoid but had the same issue. So I put in a ignition switch. Same problem. The truck wont start in park or neutral.

Yesterday I got some gas and when I left the station the truck died idleing. I made it home and it died again when I tried to put it in reverse. Today I turn the key and nothing. No lights, wipers, fuel pump doesnt come on.

Gonna check the battery in the morning, other then that Im stumped!

88 f350 460.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM

what motor? is it efi?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 93_ford_ken
what motor? is it efi?
yes efi

Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 AM

Here is a quick test you can try.
Put the headlights on , and attempt to start the truck.
If the headlights go dim there is a poor connection at the battery,or the cables , or the battery is defective.
If the lights stay bright and nothing happens when you go to start it, the problem is in the starting circuit. The starting circuit is composed of the battery, ignition switch, neutral safety switch,solenoid on the fender well, wiring from ign switch to the starter and the starter itself.
If you don't hear the solenoid on the fender well click when you turn the key to start , the problem is between the ign switch and the solenoid. There is a way to jump the solenoid and if the vehicle starts ,that eliminates from the solenoid on down to the starter. I would suggest you start with the battery connections.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 AM

Okay Hanky, I NEVER get to say this, but there's something else you didn't mention. If this the the older style (and it is), If you turned the key and the horseshoe actuator is broken in the column, then nothing will happen, except a key that spins.
If this is a problem with the switch not turning on, check this. It requires taking apart the upper column, but isn't too tough.
This was a common problem when people pulled themselves up into the truck by the steering wheel.
And, IF I am right, I can't believe I got something over on Hanky! It's taken me a year, but I FINALLY did it!
Of course, you probably thought of it already, and I'm wrong again anyway...

Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Honestly or dishonestly, That never occurred to me.
Thank goodness someone is keeping an eye on my posts. Don't get discouraged , you just haven't caught too many of my screwups. Be patient , I won't disappoint you !!!

Anyone heard from couger-fan lately?

Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 PM

well today I turned the key and the fuel pump and dash lights came on. Hooked a multimeter up to the battery and had 9.3 volts. So that explains part of it. When this first happened, I called AAA for a jump and the battery came back good. So I dont think I;m dealing with a battery problem.

Now I have to figure whats draining the battery and why the starter wont turn without jumping the solenoid.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:52 PM

You may already have a plan of how you are going to attack this problem.
A few points to keep in mind, you could still have a questionable battery that won't hold a charge. The charging system may be working part time and not charging the battery fully at which point It would be a good idea to make sure the fan belt is tight and not allowing the alt to fully charge.
If all that is OK, you might pull the fuses of only the side of the fuse panel that is always hot with the key off. The fuses that are hot with the key on would most likely not be involved.
I should clarify that, if a relay that works only with the key on happens to stick in the on position it still would be powering something even when the key is turned off.
Don't know location of truck, cool weather,cold, very cold. These could affect the performance of the alternator or a tired battery as well as the cables and/or connections.
A little side note, vehicles the age equal to yours, have been known to have a poor ground on the fenderwell where the voltage regulator is usually mounted. An extra ground wire from the battery negative cable to the regulator mounting will correct this.
After installing the replacement ign switch, is it adjusted to allow starting in park and neutral?

Last edited by hanky; 02-12-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
After installing the replacement ign switch, is it adjusted to allow starting in park and neutral?
Not sure what you mean?

I think I'm dealing with a short somewhere.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM

The reason you can't understand my last post is i forgot the ign switch may not be on the strg col. If it is try moving the switch that i believe is bolted to the column.
greasemark may have hit it on the head.

Quick Reply: turn key and nothing