New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

57 plate focus non starter after fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 AM

excellent i will do that now thanks so much x

Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 AM

Let us know how u make out with this, thanx

Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 AM

good call need a washer for injector and glow plugs fingers crossed x

Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM

hi hanky just a quick question, done the glow plugs and washer now when the clutch is down the car will start! as u mentioned something about a cut off switch?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM

The only thing I can recall regarding any switch possibly was the clutch safety switch.
As you know the purpose of that switch is to prevent the vehicle from starting while in gear unless the clutch is disengaged , pedal all the way down.
Does that answer your question?

The light just came on upstairs (my brain?) It's been a long day!
Could you be thinking about the fuel shut down solenoid ?
Most diesels have a solenoid that either controls a linkage or a valve internally and that is how they shut down the fuel supply to the engine. They usually malfunction in the shut-off position preventing the engine from starting due to the lack of fuel.

Last edited by hanky; 04-08-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:14 PM

hi hanky, thanks for that, its a bit of a nightmare to be honest! the car actually drives like a dream better than it ever did! thing is, the situation now is, sometimes it fires straight up, sometimes it wont start at all. it seems like a diesel prob somewhere along the line, the diesel light (low fuel) came on with a quarter of a tank of fuel! aaarrgghhh

Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Don't know how much help we can be, but the times it won't start , any special conditions like hot, cold, after parking a while,shortly after shutting down?
I presume you changed the fuel filter because of the hard starting when cold problem.
Could you have received some fuel with water in it? When you change the fuel filter do you have a chance to dump the contents and see what comes out? You can't miss water , it comes out in droplets. As you already know diesels are very sensitive to questionable fuel.
Just for kicks, can you observe the action of the fuel shutdown solenoid while someone turns the key on? It's a good thing to know which direction it goes when working correctly so that you can spot it right away when it may not be working .

Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 AM

sorry me again! u are correct in everything uve said so far! genius, however prob still there, in reply to ur question, yes he has done the fuel filter sgain and no water, however the fuel filter is draining for some reason, if i run the car for 10 miles or so its all running fine, but turn engine off and its a non starter looking at it the diesel is not getting to the filter, or it is but its running back! dont know bout the solonoid, where am i looking for this? women a? not a clue (hehe) many thanks hanky

Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 AM

p.s. also no special conditions at all, i mean yday morn it was raining pretty cold, car started straight up! today not having it, also filled up with more diesel and still no start

Old 04-10-2013, 03:23 PM

If the filter is allowed to empty out, There are a few places it could be going. If there was a leak in the line from the tank to the filter you most likely would see it or smell the odor of diesel fuel. Just about all fuel pumps have a check valve as part of the assembly to prevent drainback. If a fuel pressure regulator is defective , the fuel could get back to the tank through the return line. I don't know where the pressure regulator is located on your vehicle's engine, but if it is in the line before the filter it could allow fuel to go back to the tank after setting awhile.

Quick Reply: 57 plate focus non starter after fuel filter change