New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

AX4N Conundrum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Default AX4N Conundrum.

Hello guys,
I'm new to this whole forum thing and I'm breaking down my pride doing this.
I am kind of a self taught mechanic and have found employment for much of my working life mechanic. I have rebuilt several transmissions before and had them hold together. But I need some help from more experienced fellows. I own a 2004 mercury Monterey. I lost all motive power in the beginning of the winter. Figured it was the torque converter. Pulled the trans, swapped the torque out, all the spines look A1. Put everything back together, changed the fluid and filter, cleaned the magnet. Fire it up fill etc. Now I only have forward and reverse. My gut tells me the oil pump and scan tool says pressure at 17 psi. Does anyone have experience with these? Any advice would be welcome before I pull the darned thing out again.

Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 PM

Did you pull out the pump drive shaft? They were known for soft teeth and rounding off the teeth of the shaft resulting in no/low pressure. Your replacement converter may be OK, but I would pull that input shaft and check it out. If rounded off , now you need to get the parts out of the trans before they get into the valve body and cause other problems.

Last edited by hanky; 12-31-2017 at 01:35 PM.