New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

A Dream Come True: 1984 Ford E-150 Club Wagon! HELP!

Old 11-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Default A Dream Come True: 1984 Ford E-150 Club Wagon! HELP!

Howdy! My name is Suzy, aka "Specter" and I'm an artist and an performer. I do charity work and costuming as well...

I come from several generations of car people on one side, and my mom's dad even sold cars a while... But they're all into imports...

True to form I became a black sheep and fell in love with my first American-mobile, a late model Chevy Blazer. I miss her so very much.

My second love was my 1994 Ford Explorer, and man, I literally at one point LIVED in the SUV. A children's charity group I worked for made it look like the Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters, and we dressed as them and took it to parades and hospitals and stuff. There was almost 300,000 miles on that frame before we decided the "Ect-Faux" had had enough. Not gonna lie... I cried...

Im currently in a 2010 HHR, and its been great but I'm pretty tall and its hard to see out of. I like the gas milage LOL!

But recently, my friend who goes to conventions and does a lot of road trips put his van up for sale and I snatched it up!

Its a 1984 Ford Econoline 150 Club Wagon with its original interior hahaha (which is definitely going to have to be removed). Its gorgeous and hideous all at the same time. Olive carpet, tweed woven orange, cream, and brown plaid trim... Remember those days? The orange headliner and visor covers are my favorite.

Anyway... Im one of those girls who can tell you that your alternator is going out or dead by its SOUND, but don't as me to replace it because Id have NO CLUE lol. Other than basic maintenance (oil, fluids, wipers, tires, changing rims / hub caps) and things like replacing a battery, I'm a total pleeb.

I intend on fully restoring this vehicle. Its got a futon bench seat and two swivel captains chairs, and I intend on making it look like the A-Team Van (and YES I REALIZE ITS NOT THE RIGHT MAKE/MODEL FOR THAT - WHATEVER I DO WHAT I WANT).

I looked up owners manuals and I've been doing a lot or research but information seems spotty and confusing at best - I have people to install big ticket parts for me, but I'm doing everything else.

I thought Id jump on here and see if anyone had any info to share. I plan on taking video of my restorations and sharing the process.

The van is drivable, and currently has a brand new battery and starter. The instrument cluster lights are out and THE WHOLE REASON I found this forum is because I was trying to find a way to remove the dash to replace them HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAH

I hear that the van stuff is similar to the Ford F150 (late models) but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

To start I need to fix the turn signal (Have to hold it up for left, flasher is slow and probably needs to be replaced), I need to replace the lightbulbs in the dash, and clean the thing.

Anyone who has info or knows where I can find a repair manual I would be SO APPRECIATIVE!!!!!!!

Thank you for your time!

~Specter

Old 11-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site Specter.

I remember the days of the crazed van conversions. You could hardly find a van for sale!
Your correct in that may of the parts, pieces, and functions are the same since the E-F Series share the same platform. Many of us her have worked on the more vintage Fords, and should be able to help. Couple years ago I sold a complete set of 84-85 Ford Shop Manuals on eBay. A good source if you need paper copy for powertrain, chassis, electrical etc. Some parts sites have repair illustrations as well.
Posting images of tasks your trying to complete is a big help, and we like to see some of the Ol survivor Ford iron too!

Feel free to post any images you have, and as you start the repairs, or should you have questions, just put up a help a request..
Good to see another vintage wagon back out on the road...

Old 11-23-2016, 10:14 AM

Thanks so much @Hayapower! I think since I have a few days off I will be attempting the dash light replacement first. My friend that told me the van says that the engine / instrument cluster is similar to the F150's of that year but ehhhhhh.... Its not looking that way. I am going to order the "Full Size Van" repair manual soon, but for now I think my first project will be simple enough if I'm careful. I think Ill have to access it from under the dash after disassembling the steering column instead of the side panels popping out? I dunno lol

I put up an album with photos, but Ill try to take some more specific ones tomorrow! I can't wait to get this beast fully restored. Ive driven it around a few times now and it's wonderful lol.

I ordered some carpet/headliner/trim samples. I may try to replace the front seats myself but I don't have a hot knife, so I'll have to find a way to cut foam.

Thanks for replying and for the kind words!

P.S. So this may be going WAY too far, but would there be a way to create custom dial covers with lexan or something? My imagination may be wandering too far hahahahah

Heres the link to the pics I had on hand:

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners - SuzySpecter's Album: 1984 Ford Econoline 150 Club Wagon - Betsy the Brown Beast

Old 11-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Looks to be pretty nice shape, gotta love that plaid interior!

The instrument panel is closer in design to the F series of mid-late 70's than it was to the 84 F builds. Not sure on the dial upgrade, but you could change the illumination colors easy enough..