New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Intake manifold tubes/lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Default Intake manifold tubes/lines

Hi..thanks to allow me join the forum.
I own Ford explorer 2002 XLT 4.0 L v6.
can anyone tell me what is the name of the tubes as shown on the picture blue circle?
the are two tubes coming out. I want to know where the tubes suppose to go/connected.

Thanks and appreciate for any comment or suggestion. Intake mabifold 2002 explorer V6 4.0 L

Old 07-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Those are vacuum supply lines. Manifold tap, vacuum tree are some of the names for the fittings into the manifold where the large rubber connection slip on. The small plastic lines a ‘mini lines’
They supply vacuum to the EGR valve/EGR regulator, fuel pulse damper, and usually vacuum for the control of the heat/A/C. There should be a vacuum routing label underside of the hood panel or on the radiator support panel. It will show the routing schematic and components that are supplied.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunetly the diagram no longer exist on the hood anymore. I will do more research to find out where the line need to be connected. One is allraedy on the correct posiition I guess( EGR) while the other one still hanging no idea where has to go. Actually the problem is my explorer idle is rough and pulsing. New EGR and spark plugs were installed. Cleaning the IAC and MAF but no luck still the same problem. Checked for possible leak vacuum also did not find

Old 07-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Talking

Any CEL illuminated?
Vacuum leaks/lines need to be connected.
Did you clean the throttle body as well?

Attached Thumbnails Intake manifold tubes/lines-3c0693a6-3031-4b56-b114-1c428c96b0c9.jpeg  

Last edited by Hayapower; 07-10-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:08 PM

Thanks again Sir.
Engine Service Soon light is iluminated.
Yes I did clean the throttle body as well. The strange thing is when the tube was disconnected from egr the iddle is better. Now I just let 2 tubes/lines are not connected to anywhere. When I connected to the EGR the car powerless especialy after stopping some times even stall.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

With the engine idling, unplug the EGR vacuum line. Do you feel any vacuum against your finger from the lines connector? If the EGR solenoid leaks/bleeds unmetered vacuum it can pass through the solenoid and apply EGR under idle conditions making for an unstable idle. Its been scanned for DTC's? If there are codes available, it may help with a direction.
EVAP solenoids failures weren't uncommon either.

Here's a better description of the vacuum routing. Hard to read the small print on the original.

Attached Thumbnails Intake manifold tubes/lines-a0041362.gif  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:04 AM

Yes..there is sucking vacum from the tubes but I dont think its strong enough. Scan code was P0401 before changing the EGR and cleaning the sensors. Should I replace the selenoid and sensors as well?
Thanks for the clear diagram. I will follow the diagram routing to find out what was the problem.

Regards

Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

There shouldn’t be any EGR flow at idle.
Meaning, the EGR valve opening even slightly under idle conditions will cause poor idle characteristics. Since you stated it idles better with the vacuum hose disconnected lends to the valve is opening.

Most often it’s the EVR solenoid (EGR solenoid) is leaking or bleeding vacuum, but try disconnecting the EVR solenoid electrical connector with the vacuum hose still attached to the EGR.
When the electrical connector is disconnected, Does the idle improve?
If no, replace the EVR. If yes, then the solenoid is being commanded ON when it shouldn’t be.

P0401 can be triggered by the DPFE (differential pressure feedback exhaust gas sensor).
Generally the code sets without any idle/ drivability issues. The DPFE are subjected to exhaust heat, moisture/condensation, corrosion, and failures are fairly common.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
There shouldn’t be any EGR flow at idle.
Meaning, the EGR valve opening even slightly under idle conditions will cause poor idle characteristics. Since you stated it idles better with the vacuum hose disconnected lends to the valve is opening.

Most often it’s the EVR solenoid (EGR solenoid) is leaking or bleeding vacuum, but try disconnecting the EVR solenoid electrical connector with the vacuum hose still attached to the EGR.
When the electrical connector is disconnected, Does the idle improve?
If no, replace the EVR. If yes, then the solenoid is being commanded ON when it shouldn’t be.

P0401 can be triggered by the DPFE (differential pressure feedback exhaust gas sensor).
Generally the code sets without any idle/ drivability issues. The DPFE are subjected to exhaust heat, moisture/condensation, corrosion, and failures are fairly common.
DEear Sir
Thanks for all your help with the diagram
I just manage to solve the problem. The red tube which i mentioned in the opening thread is not suppose to connect to EGR valve directly. It should go to the EGR selenoid first then from selenoid come in to the EGR valve. I just found out the EGR selenoid is located hidden behind the manifold facing to the car body which was not connected to any tubes either in or out.

So when I connected to the EGR selenoid and put the other tubes(out) to the EGR valve..the iddle is veery smooth.

I will do the rescanning and will see what will be the reading.

Again thanks a lot
Regards

Old 07-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

You bet,,

Hope all is well with it...