New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Question about low/intermediate clutch pack in AX4N Tranny.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Default Question about low/intermediate clutch pack in AX4N Tranny.

I have an AX4N that I am reassembling. I have a concern with the Low/Intermediate Clutch pack that is on the center on the final drive shaft. It is the one that uses the transmission casing to align the clutch pack, directly after installing the rear planet support beveled snap ring. The question I am needing clarified is whether or not that clutch pack has a cushion plate in it. It seems by the schematics that there is a cushion plate. It seems to not be a wave plate. A straight cushion plate. The reason I am concerned is that the cushion plate (if it goes there) seems to ride on top of the rear planet support piston and is "encased" by the snap ring. I am concerned the edge of the cushion plate is going to rub constantly on the beveled snap ring. I was able to install the cushion plate and the new frictions, steels, and support plate and then install the next unbeveled snap ring that holds the low/intermediate clutch pack in place. I became more concerned because of how tightly the snap ring and clutch pack assembled I had to tap around the entire snap ring quite a few times to get it to engage the ***** on the casing and finally seat. Can anyone verify the contents of the low/intermediate clutch pack? Thank you for your time and consideration.
P.S. Online the cushion plate is named a friction plate? Same as cushion plate? The plate in question is thinner than the other wave plates in the transmission.

Attached Thumbnails Question about low/intermediate clutch pack in AX4N Tranny.-cushion-plate-question.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2018, 05:24 PM

This goes back a bit.
From the info I was able to find , there is supposed to be a wave plate between the clutch piston and the first steel plate. Any time we have a problem getting a retaining ring to go fully seated usually was caused by something not fully in place under it
Many of those retaining rings are select fit and when parts are changed different rings might be required.