New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

just bought 1999 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Default just bought 1999 Expedition

Hello,

My wife & I just purchased a 1999 Expedition.My wife really liked it when we test drove it so we made the deal.It wasn't until after we bought that I looked online for consumer reviews(should have looked before)and found that there is some common problems with these vehicles (head gaskets,sparkplugs coming out of the blocks,crazy electrical stuff etc.)Anyway,I only drove it home from the lot as it is my wife's truck,but a couple days later I noticed the 4x4 wasn't working so took it to the dealer and he made an appointment to get it fixed on his dime.Great! The night before it went to the shop we noticed interior and running board lights come on by themselves,stay on about 20sec.It is really random,but it did it enough to kill the battery during the night.The truck is equipped with an aftermarket alarm with seperate key fob which also locks the doors.We have both the original and the aftermarket fobs.The used dealer that we bought it from had a mechanic look at it but they could not find the problem let alone get it to happen again and he seems to think the after market alarm is causing the issue.I have read also that water gets into the fuse box as well as the gem module due to poor windshield sealing.Anyway that's the story so far.I'm hoping to get some longevity out of this vehicle without it going to the shop alot.I hope to find some answers here as well.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Default RE: just bought 1999 Expedition

sandman 2701,I have a 1999 eddie bauer with 5.2. I love this truck and have had some problems but nothing like you have described. My windshield did leak and had to have all the metal around the window reworked. The most persistant problem has been the air ride system. I still have a chk susp light but system is working normally. suspect control module going bad because the problem is intermittant. Unfortunatetly the module is around $400. soI just decided to live with it until it completly goes. Right now i'm dealing with the front heated seats inop with button light on. It turns out it's the seat heat module control box, on both seats which is why it threw me for awhile. Couldn't believe both would go at the same time because they get there power seperately. I have all the shop manuals including the wire diagrams. If i can be of any help let me know.I have checked the let me know if response box soI would know fairly quickly. Good Luck.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Default RE: just bought 1999 Expedition

Aftermarket alarms and starters are known for doing things like that if they aren't installed properly. If you know what brand it is, you can find an electronics store that sells and installs that brand to make sure that it was done correctly.