New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

new 2002 ex owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Default new 2002 ex owner

I am looking for help on what to improve on y 7.3 ex. I have already put in an s&b intake but don't know what to do next. It is my wifes daily driver and we also tow a 28ft camper in the summers. I was looking at a chip with a tow and econo setting but had some questions on what to do with the exhaust. Looking for as much help as possible. Thanks for the help. I just signed up today but have been outside observing for a few weeks and love what i see.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Depending on what level of tune you plan on running, and the load/trailer being pulled, most will accommadate the OEM exhaust in the 'mid' range tunes, and even better in the 'tow safe' settings but may vary depending on the tuner/chip manufacturer.. I run the Diablo Predator on my 05 6.0 set for an extra 65HP (just under 400hp) in the stock build profile.. The tune has run since 2K miles, now at 85K.. Have towed some decent loads with no problems although I do have an EGT gauge to watch the exhaust temps but have never had any over temp readings.. Lowering the EGT is always a good idea when building power, but can be used safely in OEM profile if monitored, and not a bad idea to monitor even if a pipe is added.. Unrestricting the exhaust help with the EGt and add to the performance, but will also audibly change the exhaust note.. Some like the change, some don't..

There's always some risk when building power, and an EGT gauge and/or pipe will help with as extra insurance.. I do know many owners that have added a Superchips tuner ect. in stock profile with no issues at all...

Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am really struggling with idea of only adding about a 1/2 inch on the diameter of the pipe overall. Most kits for the ex say there is a 3 1/2 turbo back with 4" the rest of the way. As it stands I am 3" turbo back with 3 1/2 stock. I wondered what I would reallly gain for the money. I also wondered how much that oem muffler hurts me though. Would removing the stock muffler and straight piping or putting a new flow through model in be a good alternative? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

IMO..

Adding a larger diameter pipe 'only' or with an intake will help the engine to 'breath' and increase the flow rates,, but without adding a performace tune would only have minimal noticed gains.. To get real performance and power/torque improvements for towing/hauling adding a tune will make the best power for the buck.. Straight piping will make a huge difference in the exhaust note/noise which can make for 'drone' noise issues to the cabin interior.. Being this is a daily driver for your wife may be bit overwelming.. Even a larger pipe or muff can make for some noticed interior noise.. Just something to consider, being the DB ratings can/will be very different between pipe manufacturers.. The stock exhaust will flow 'ok', but when adding a high performance tune the combustion/exhaust pressures increase as well as EGT, and having a more free flowing intake/exhaust will be a benefit including better turbo spool up times..

If your looking to add a 'tow safe' tune for average towing and/or are looking to get fuel economy improvement, the stock unit would probably be adequate.. If you looking at build or running in the higher permformance tunes than a complete exhaust would be a better bet over a cat back or a replacement muff.. If a complete pipe isn't reasonable, then a cat back over just a muff...

My stock exhaust flows ok running an extra 65hp through it.. No noticeable EGT temp spikes even during moderate towing and daily driving (and of course when someone tries to cut me off on the freeway If I were to run the next step tune of 100hp a new pipe would be a must! Most performance tune manufacturers suggest monitoring the exhaust gas temps (EGT) as well as larger pipes for assurance, but I've never had any issues with temps, and my trucks power gains are very noticable with the curent flow parts..

Not that I'm against any pipe changes at all, love some of the sounds, but I use my truck for a lot of cross state driving/towing and I don' want any noise that would be distractive after hours on the road..