New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New to the forum and need help bad.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Default New to the forum and need help bad.

Hello there! I'm new to the forum and I'm in need of help, my 98 expedition broke down over the weekend and I can't get it to start. Here's a little history of the car I'm the second owner and when I got it I found out that the vehicle was in need of a fuel pump well on Saturday I think that the pump went out on me. Because I took my wife to the store and the truck was sputering a little more than usual and she finished shoping, turned the truck on and put in reverse and the vehicle stalled out on me and after a couple of trys the vehicle started and shut off.
So I replaced the fuel pump and tryied to start it , the vehicle turns over but does not run. Any ideas! Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by weiss1172
Hello there! I'm new to the forum and I'm in need of help, my 98 expedition broke down over the weekend and I can't get it to start. Here's a little history of the car I'm the second owner and when I got it I found out that the vehicle was in need of a fuel pump well on Saturday I think that the pump went out on me. Because I took my wife to the store and the truck was sputering a little more than usual and she finished shoping, turned the truck on and put in reverse and the vehicle stalled out on me and after a couple of trys the vehicle started and shut off.
So I replaced the fuel pump and tryied to start it , the vehicle turns over but does not run. Any ideas! Thanks in advance.
Here is some ideas off the top of my head.
Listen for a running fuel pump when you turn the key On, but do not crank the engine.
No sound. Check for a tripped fuel pump inertia switch.

If there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail, and you have a fuel pressure gauge, what is the fuel pressure with the key on? If there is a schrader valve, and you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, turn the key on for a few seconds then turn the key off, and depress the pin on the schrader valve with a small screwdriver. Gas should spray out. Be careful.

If there is no schrader valve, spray some starting fluid into the intake, and see if you get any fire. No fire. Check for spark.

Fire, but still no fuel:
Clogged fuel filter.
Blown fuel pump fuse.
Bad fuel pump relay.

Let us know what you find, and if the truck still doesn't start we'll take it from there. In the meantime I'll do some research on '98 Expeditions.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM

Thank you for your help, I replaced the fuel pump and strainer. I didn't notice that the anti theft light was blinking before I replaced the pump, well every time the I insert the key and turn on; the light blinks and the engine turns over but not on. I happen to have a Ngs scanner and I pulled 4 codes they are B1600, B1602, B1681 and U1146 I know what the scanner says but what does it mean. Thanks !