Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

New to the forum! Need opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Default New to the forum! Need opinion?

Hi, everyone new here and i have a few questions about future purchase? it is a 2001 ford excursion 7.3 td with 139000miles.
it run good ,shifts good,nice truck but it not as peppy as i thought. didnt notice engine light, i just figured it maybe fuel filter
or something. anyways it a good price i think at $9000 is very good , just need some opinions thankx josh

Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New to the forum! Need opinion?

All depends on what 'peppy' feels like

Fairly heavy rig (4x4?), and the 7.3's with the 4R100 have what I call the 'dead zone' when the trans shifts to OD at slower speeds under light throttle conditions.. The power problem there is,, boost is low, low engine RPM due to the trans OD lockup (low boost again), speed is low and maybeon it's way up which canmake for a 'slow to low' grunt pull unless the peddle is applied to bring the numbers up or the OD is canceled if remaining in that cruising range.. Is the lower power/peformance noticed around 40ish or 'out of the hole' slow to go power in the first few shifts?? At 139,000 with what sounds like a normal running smooth condition? no CEL, rough idle/misfire, chances are it's fine if the power and performane are basically the same under normal operating temps (Cold/Normal).. If it were fuel/filter related, or the micro screens in the fuel module restricted it would more likelysuffer power loss on the upper end performance over 'out of the hole' where the fuel volume demands are generally higher or sustained.. Or, maybe if driven moderatlyhard on acceleration in the lower ranges

If the power doesn't seem 'normal' at low end,stumbles, hesitats, hiss when cold,then it might be worth having it checked before the purchase, and maynot bea bad idea anyway..

You can easily build/add power to a PSD by adding a performance tune if it's more of a needed power/torque issue, but does come with some risk..

Old 12-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Default RE: New to the forum! Need opinion?

thx its not like my chevy 6.5td but i know my truck is not as heavy as the "x". it had a loud hissing noise out of the exhaust but i know its the turbo.it was very noticable. i was around 45-50 when i drove it so.and it is 4x4,no rough idle or misfire and it never got up to good operating temp. im going to test drive it again tomorrow maybe if i purchase it dont know yet.