Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

1995 Ford XLT 4.9 Brand New Engine And MSD Ignition No power to the coil

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 08:21 PM
Exclamation 1995 Ford XLT 4.9 Brand New Engine And MSD Ignition No power to the coil

Spent in parts about 6 grand in it already. New, torque converter, transmission fluid and filters, gaskets all new from top to bottom. Temperature sensor, water pump, new radiator, new starter, new belt, gaskets from top to bottom, transmission fluid and filters, torque converter, radiator, motor oil and many many more other things. I can't get it to spark. I use voltage meter I at the plug where the coil is. But no power at one point. But now I'm getting around 2 volts. The truck ran before engine swapping. Still the new engine not even broken in yet or fired up no one time. This was supposed to be a little bit of project it's starting to get get on my nerves truck. But I just lost a car a couple days ago transmission went out. So I'm going now this truck up and running again real quick to go to work. I was wondering if I can just bypass the problem and just connect the hot side of the coil to the battery or VS. I use to able just do it in technical School when we had a 5.0 on a engine stand and connect a hot battery to the coil and firing up. So I just wanted to know if I do that with this Ford XLT Pick. MSD High performance coil, Taylor Cap and Rotor, NGK spark plugs. Platinum Laser Mag 8mm spark plug Wires. Any idea would be appreciated.

Yes I fully painted in american flag colors.

Installing the new oil pump and pan

Finish installing the new engine hasn't broken in yet

Primer painted first with the high temperature paint at heat ratings 1200° degrees

Rock auto engine

Old 12-14-2020, 01:15 PM

Did you follow the directions for where to hook up the wires for the MSD system? Always check that first.

Usually when you turn the key on it sends 12 volts to the positive terminal of the coil.
According to what you have stated, you are not getting 12 volts to the coil positive trminall with the key on.
That power usually comes from a fused wire to the ign sw then on down to the coil. I believe when you check those 2 steps, directions and power coming from the ign sw you should find the cause for no power to the coil.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by hanky
Did you follow the directions for where to hook up the wires for the MSD system? Always check that first.

Usually when you turn the key on it sends 12 volts to the positive terminal of the coil.
According to what you have stated, you are not getting 12 volts to the coil positive trminall with the key on.
That power usually comes from a fused wire to the ign sw then on down to the coil. I believe when you check those 2 steps, directions and power coming from the ign sw you should find the cause for no power to the coil.

Hello there. Thanks for your time and help. I haven't checked the fuess in the truck cab I only checked the fuess under the hood which they look good. Is that particular fuse in the cap of the truck under the dash or under the hood? I did manage to used the voltage meter and check the voltage from the coil connector to the battery on positive side and it's showing voltage 11.8 and less on the ground side 5.6 if I can remember correctly on the ground side. If the fuess for the ignition switch where do I look?

Thanks

Old 12-16-2020, 07:56 AM

If the lights come on and the gauges work , we "assume" there is power at the ign sw.
The object is to verify that power is going thru that wire to the coil.

If you were to use a jumper wire and run power from the battery positive terminal to the positive post of the coil the engine should start, IF ALL IS HOOKED UP RIGHT.
YOU DID CONFIRM YOU CONNECTED ALL THE WIRES FOR THE MSD SYSTEM IN THE CORRECT PLACES , YES/NO?

If the engine starts , the only way to shut it off will require removing the jumper from the battery pos terminal. Lets see what you get so far, OK ?

Old 12-16-2020, 01:35 PM

Thanks again. I hooked up every electric components that I I can think of. Coil was hooked up but no power for the ignition connector it's self. I did upgraded to dash lights to blue LED lights. Dashboard lights are working and warning lights are working. Before I did engine swap I fully disconnected the battery first to prevent electrical short or damage. But still can't get my head around it. I heard it might be the ignition control module from google search. I have a another truck like this one sitting in the yard which it has starter issues. I might try to swap out to see if it works.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:52 PM

US,
I do not believe the ign module will have any effect.
Can you tell us where you connected the red wire from the system so as to obtain battery power when you turn the key on?
Where did your directions say to connect it?

Old 12-17-2020, 01:46 PM

Thanks. The red wire is on the left side of connector and the I think white or yellow is on right side. The connector are fixed with the clip on plastic connector it only faces forward from the front that is made from the manufacturer of the wiring harness. I'll try to get pictures this weekend since I'm off Saturday so you can see what happened. I been working alot hours this month. I don't have the ignition condenser hooked up. I don't know if this can be a bit of problem why this is happening. I read somewhere in Ford form that is just for keeping rpm sounds from radio.

Thanks again

Old 12-18-2020, 07:41 AM

The "Condenser" as they were called , served 2 functions, It did help filter out RPM "static", also helped protect switch contacts every time the ignition switch was opened and closed.
Spark plugs with built in resistors later helped get rid of some static also. Some of that static was caused by the DC generator used at those times and resistor plugs and carbon impregnated fibers used in spark plug wires reduced secondary ignition static.

Last edited by hanky; 12-18-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:26 PM

Hello there. I have bought a new condenser for the ignition coil I hope I can install it tonight or tomorrow morning.. I'll give you some updates on what happened next. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:36 PM

Hello there. I'm giving you some updates. I finally got the ignition condenser and I bought a new ignition plug connector for the coil and finally got power to the coil after I put the ignition condenser and ignition coil connector . Today I put my truck in right timing and put new distributor shaft and rotor, cap. And I got the truck fired up and running again for a few minutes because I still have to get the belt put on and some antifreeze in radiator. New engine seems to run like a scolded dog. Sounds good.

Quick Reply: 1995 Ford XLT 4.9 Brand New Engine And MSD Ignition No power to the coil