Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

best jerryrigged fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Default RE: best jerryrigged fix

ORIGINAL: Patrick

hopefully you guys wont mock me too much....for using duct tape, or racing a 1983 dodge
what engine was in it and what did it do the quarter in?

the duct tape airlining was genius.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:25 AM

Now that it is time for confessinal, I guess I should tell some of the jerryriggs I have done. First, the broken stereo antennia on my jeep- it was broken off about eight inches tall, and if I passed any brush along the road taller than that, my stereo would cut out. i took a long piece of #9 wire and straitened it out and electrical taped it to the antennia stub. the same was true, tnat any brush that stood over the top of the anntenna make it cut out, but with four feet extra hight, than kind of brush is less common.
then there was the broken windshield wipers on my SAAB- since the mount for it is not avalabile anywhere I looked, I used copius amounts of JB weld and tie wire to fix it and reinstalled it. my last is an "almost" jerryrig- when my starter quit and i was chasing down the problem, some of the tests seemed to say that the ignition switch was to blame. later tests found the starter to blaim, so i rebuilt it, and when I reinsalled the starter, everything worked so I did not have to do this, but when it seemed that I would need to replace the ignition switch which would require ordering it and waiting for it to be delivered, the fact that this was my only form of transportation go me thinking, and I developed the following solution- I would take a push button switch and run one wire from the battery to the switch and run another wire from the switch to the ignition terminal on the starter. then I would run these wires out of the hood and in the drivers window- to start the car you would have to put the key in and turn it to run and push the switch hanging from the door.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Administrator

its a low compression 1969 340..and i run mid 12s...but thats on old springs and such...so its getting freshened up...and new gears..looking for high 11s

Old 06-03-2005, 09:44 PM

My welding teacher races a dodge charger with a 440 and twin carbs- it is set up for 1/8 mile track, but he said that he ran high 9s in the 1/4 I don't see anything wrong with Mopar, chevy on the other hand... their cars and engines are too generic and their trucks are ugly. plus, I have seen way more chevy trucks broken down on the side of the road than any other vehical.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:04 AM

OK,I have two, the first is, when we were around twenty as a group we went for a cruise, my brothers car a mk1 zodiac, the left rear leaf spring bolt snapped and went through the boot. Out in the country unable to drive the car he did the next best thing, we jacked the car up and put a log between the boot and the spring. Drove all the way home no problem.
The other one was actually mine.Again out in the country in a mk1 gt cortina, the hydraulic line to operate the clutch touched the extractors and burnt through. Solved the problem by taking the line off, walked to a service station, cut the two middle burnt parts and superglued them together,bought some fluid and put it all together,kept the line away from the exhaust, and it remained there until i sold the car.

Old 06-04-2005, 03:12 AM

ORIGINAL: NIGHTHAWK

The other one was actually mine.Again out in the country in a mk1 gt cortina, the hydraulic line to operate the clutch touched the extractors and burnt through. Solved the problem by taking the line off, walked to a service station, cut the two middle burnt parts and superglued them together,bought some fluid and put it all together,kept the line away from the exhaust, and it remained there until i sold the car.

WOW!!! I have heard of duct tape on a radiator line, but that is even better!! Course superglue can be jerryrigged medical help- ever superglue a cut closed?

Here is a scary one- one of the kids at school was saying that their brother lifted a chevy love using chunks of 2X4 as axel blocks- front and rear. something to think about when you see a lifted pickup coming at you huh??

Old 06-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Administrator

when working as a tech i saw a guy who drilled holes through hockey pucks and used those for spacers for the body kift.

Old 06-04-2005, 09:32 PM

Body lifts are scary enough as it is. but that still seems loads safer than the 2X4 block lift.

How about blocks of wood tied under the bumpstops on an overloaded truck to keep the fenders from hitting the tires? That is Montana for you- there is ALWAYS room for another piece of firewood!

Old 06-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Administrator

its ok..i went from PA, one of the most strict states in the country for safety inspection...to michigan, where i see things like cars with no hood or fenders or bumpers,....its illegal to make a right turn on red, but youre allowed to make a left turn on red....

this whole freakin state is jerry rigged.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

its illegal to make a right turn on red, but youre allowed to make a left turn on red....
?????????????????[sm=dontgetit.gif]????????????????????
I have always wondered why the logic behind the Right turn on red does not carry over to other directions- Right turn on red says that if there is no one coming, you can make a right turn, so if no one is coming from both directions, why can't you go straight, or even make a left turn- treat the stop light as a stop sign that changes directions.

BTW, here in Montana, the lack of Fenders and bumpers and hoods and such is not supprising, and I have seen a number of trucks around here where every singal body panal is a different color. On Friday I saw an S-10 with a WOOD bumper. bumper pads cut from old tire tread are not uncommon and I am yet to see a set of mudflaps where at least one of the corners is not held up with tie wire. one of my friends has a toyota sedan that got smashed up on the drivers side front, taking out his headlight and turn signal- he has driven it around for at least two years without fixing it. He could just do what I saw one time on another car- same problem, they had taken a headlight group out of another car that was quite a bit different and tie wired it onto the bumper, then spliced in the old wiring from the old light. need a cheap car audio system? go to your nearest 2nd hand store and pick up a battery powered boom box. then you take a Cigarette lighter power adapter and cut the wire and strip it down and attach it to the battery contact points. if the boom box takes 8 batterys you got it easy because that is 12 volts, otherwise wire a resister in line to step it down. that was the sound system in an old van we used to have. a friend of mine took it one step farther by putting a full set of three foot tall wood cabinet house speakers in the back of his Jeep Wagoneer.

Quick Reply: best jerryrigged fix