Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

oil dipstick leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Default oil dipstick leaking oil

hey guys. I have a 72 ford 300 engine with the inline straight 6. and I had to replace the valve cover gasket cause it failed. and I test ran it and I an noticing that there is oil leaking out below the dipstick tube and above I was wandering on if I replace the tube if it will fix the leaking oil problem. oh and sorry I forgot to mention that it actually isn't in a car, it's actually in a chipper. and how do I remove it and install the other one. I called advance auto parts and they said the filter screen inside the oil pan is probably clogged. but I don't know how I will drop the pan and either clean it. or get a new one? please help thanks kawimaniac2145

Old 08-25-2018, 03:34 PM

It shouldn't make any difference , a dipstick tube is a dipstick tube as long as it is the one that belongs on that engine.
Are you sure the oil is coming out at the base of where the tube goes into the block or could it be coming out of the top of the tube and running down?
The tube is usually pressed in and doesn't usually leak, unless it was disturbed somehow.. If yours is retained with a bolt there is usually an "O" ring under the mounting.
If the block is OK and it is coming out at the base of the pressed in tube, Replacing the tube with the correct one should take care of it.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:24 PM

okay I took the pcv valve off and there was no leaking. but now I got to get a new dipstick. the new one I bought is twice the size of it. and I cannot find the original one that was on it. what can I do?

Old 08-28-2018, 01:32 PM

Have you considered trying a salvage yard ?

Old 08-28-2018, 01:47 PM

yeah they said they have no dipsticks for that late of a year model.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:53 PM

What did the manufacturer of that piece of equip have to say ? Did you check with them?

As a last resort, they are usually pressed in. . If that is the case you should be able to pull it up and out and clean the tube and block so they are clean and dry ,
There is usually an expanded stop where the tube cannot go in any further. You might try some RTV sealant /gasket maker and put a liberal coating on the end that goes into the block, Insert it all the way in to the stop and let it sit and cure overnight. That should take care of it. Let us know how you make out with this, thanks.

Last edited by hanky; 08-28-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:35 PM

the manufacturer of this is mitts & merril and it is an industrial chipper. but the manufacturer is no longer available. confused. what do I do now?

Old 08-28-2018, 05:46 PM

Been there, the suggestion I offered if done as suggested will not do any damage and may just solve the problem.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:49 PM

I lost the original dipstick tube. I took it out to take it to autozone and I called autozone and they don't have it. I am stumped now

Old 08-28-2018, 07:31 PM

AND AS THE SAGA UNFOLDS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Here is what you can do.
If you know how many quarts it took when you changed the oil and filter(probably no more than 6 qts) Get another dip stick tube and stick , install the tube, drain the oil and filter from the engine as you usually did, add the oil,without starting the engine you can cut and mark the new stick about 1/4 in above the oil level indicated on the new stick. That should get you pretty close to the mark as used on the original stick. Unless the engine has some extra capacity oil pan that should get you in the ball park. If it is slightly under the recommended level, no big deal. If it is slightly over it will blow it out . Think you can handle that?

Quick Reply: oil dipstick leaking oil