Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Small trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Default RE: Small trucks

Here is a link that goes directly to the Ford Bantam, I dont know why they dont sell one here, probably due to political issues, but the idea isnt so far fetched.
http://www.ford.co.za/servlet/Conten...&c=DFYPage

Old 05-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: marting503

You guys are all wrong! Especially the moron who said there would be "No Market" for a super small p/u (micro-truck) .
Ok it might not get 40mpg, but 30mpg shouldnt be difficult.
It would have to be either rear wheel or 4 wheel drive (obviously).
It wouldnt be intended for ANY heavy use. It would be perfect for a guy like me who might need to p/u a couple chairs, p/u a few bags of barkdust, bring my wet dogs home from the lake, throw a couple fishing poles and a beer cooler in, ok i think you get it.
The point is alot of us dont have room for a car and a trailer, or a truck that only gets 18 mpg.
The fact is, most of the time people dont carry anything at all. So for little stuff, it would be perfect.
Suburu makes that ugly Baja, and its only avail in 4 door. Did i mention its ugly?
They almost had a winner with the Brat, but it was ugly too.
Can you imagine a Rugged looking miniature Ranger (the new Scout or Bronco)? I can.
Heres what I would do...
I'd make it about the same size as a Focus maybe even smaller.
Id give it a 1.8 - 2.2 liter engine.
I dont know much about transmissions, but I would design it to maximize fuel economy, but it would autmatically adjust when carrying cargo (some how?)
It would be a two door extended cab (optional).
Push button 4 wheel drive.
Push button adjustable rear suspension (Air Bags) for when cargo is 200-400lbs (400 max|).
Last of all, it would be designed as a truck, not a car with a bed on the back!
Still think there no market? Ive been waiting for something like this few about two years now, so I've given it alot of thought| (as you can see).
I did see a smaller version of a Ford Ranger that sells in South Africa but I cant seem to find it again.
So FORD, if you're reading this, Build it dammit! I'll buy the first one.
mg

Seriously, there is no need for name calling here., and please don't post keep posting the same link in different replies.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:13 AM

The 2.3 ranger is small enough. It doesn't have 4wd, so if you want it buy a 3.0. I get around 20 with my 3.0 and im very happy. I can haul a trailer and a mower around all day if i want to, but i can also drive it more to the extent of a car. If your lookign for a small truck with a really small motor and 4wd that can hold a load, good luck. Maybe your suspension can hold it, but your motors not pulling it anywhere. Just buy an old 2.3 ranger and use it on occasion if its that hard, or just buy a bigger truck and do the same thing. i really don't see the issue