Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

What does everyone do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Default RE: What does everyone do?

Hi y'all. Just joined and found this area. I am a fleet supervisor for the City of Lexington, Kentucky. We have around 1200 vehicles we take care of. Was a tech at city for 20 years and went into supervision. We are mostly a Ford city and therefore I look for Ford forums. I have access to Ford repairs on DVD if there are any questions. I do not have anything older than 2000 as of now. Still looking for the older ones.

In spare time I drink good Ky. Bourbon (Makers Mark) and enyoy pool, NASCAR, dirt tracks and have a 90 acre farm way out in the boonies to go regain my sanity.

Old 01-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site Way2old.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:09 PM

I worked for a Toyota dealer as a technician for 13 years, then worked at the service desk for a while. That burned me out at a dealership. Now I teach Automotive Technology at high school. I've been doing this and working on the side in the garage at home for 6 years. I would love to be able to open my own shop in town someday.

393C Stroker

Old 01-04-2006, 07:08 PM

Marshall here.
I work for a major auto insurer in California (and a few other states) as a "Senior Claims Analyst" - which basically means I'm a professional nit-picker when it comes to auto damage estimates. Spent 24 years in the field as an appraiser and quality control analyst, but I'm parked to a desk now.
Lately it seems I've spent most of my free time glued to my laptop playing Need For Speed Hot Persuit 2 on-line ("karguy 427") - Need a NFS-HP2 AA. In the past I've coached LL baseball, built models (would like to get back to that one), and bought a '62 T-Bird to restore. Wasn't able to follow-through on that one due to financial issues. Would love to get another one. I'm an Elder at my church, and the proud (but broke) dad of 2 teen-age girls. Also the main squeeze of my wife of almost 32 years.
Have spend most of my time on Audiforums.com (sister forum), since my daily driver is a 2000 A6 Avant. I am probably going to be replacing it though within the next 6 months to a year. Probably looking at a Explorer Sport-Trac (unfortunately not the 2007).
Oh - one more thing....Wife drives a 2003 Explorer XLT, and dtr # 1 has a '96 Probe GT.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Administrator

any fun tips on cheap insurance?

Old 01-05-2006, 05:44 PM

Hi All:

I'm new to this forum and found you all via a Google search. Having a couple of issue with my Expedition...but I entered all those in the appropriate section...anyway

#1: I am a Network Security Engineer so I get to sit in front of comuters all day long. I enjoy the work, however, and find it challenging.

#2: My favorite activities include camping, hiking, playing with my three kid, remodeling my 1914 house, and being with my wife. I hale from Portland, Oregon (the epicenter of microbrew) so I love trying new beers (IPA's and Ambers are my favorites)

Thanks for the great forum...I hope someone has some insight into my Expy issues.

Eric

Old 01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome oregonn. I like microbrews as well. I use to drink butwiper lite, then I met my fiance who like the good stuff. Can't go back to that nasty stuff anymore. Here where I live we have a couple places. On is called B.J.'s rewery and pizza. They have a good red that is 7.2%. and smooth. Also have Gordan Biersch. Very good too, but don't frequent them much because there food is a little pricey(BUT GOOOOOD). They have a Heifenweisen that is outsatnding, funny thing as well, is it has a slight banana taste.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

any fun tips on cheap insurance?
Yes..... Not necessary "cheap" tips, but tips on what you NEED:
1) Make sure your liability limits are high enough to protect your assets. 50,000 / 100,000 BI - 25,000 PD may not be enough in some cases ( if you really mess up ). Unless you're on a tight budget, 100/300, with 50K PD should be the MINIMUM you want. If you nail a newer Benz and only have 25,000 PD limits, the other guy's insurance company is going to want a piece of your house after they get the 25K from your company.
2) If rental reimbursement coverage is OPTIONAL on your policy, GET IT! Read your policy to make sure. Don't assume you get a rental as a part of your coverage. It usually costs about as much 1 or 2 rental days per 6 months of coverage. Definitely worth it.
3) BTW - When getting a rental vehicle, don't bother with the "DW" and "PAI" coverages they want you to take out. A real rip off. Yes, if you have an accident in the rental vehicle you'll have to pay another collison deductible to the rental company, but since it's a 'temporary substitute auto', you should be covered for the loss by your own insurance company ( in most cases - I'M NOT A LAWYER . ).
4) Consider doing without 'Medical Payments' coverage on your policy (particularly if you have good health plan insurance). If the accident is the other guy's fault, his insurance will have to pay for the medical expenses as a part of your BI claim. If it's your fault, your medical plan should cover whatever treament you need ( they would put a lien on any $$ recovery anyway). ( DON'T HOLD ME RESPONSIBLE - THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!)
5) Consider dropping collision / comprehensive on older transportation vehicles you own (But retain "Uninsured Collision" coverage in case an uninsured driver hits you). Weigh the risks. If you have a teenager driving one of those vehicles, the risk will be higher that that vehicle will be involved in a loss.
6) If you ARE involved in an accident, attend, if possible, to injured parties, exchange info, etc. But at same time, BE AWARE of details. Weather conditions affected accident? Witnesses ? (particularly important) As soon as you can after the accident, write down all the details you can thing of about the accident while it's still fresh in your mind. KEEP A DISPOSABLE CAMERA IN YOUR GLOVE BOX. TAKE PHOTOS - VEHICLE POSITIONS / DAMAGE, ETC. (You can do that while waiting for police to come, if you're not doing anything else).

Old 01-08-2006, 10:18 PM

I am a senior in high school, and I work alot with computers and goming. I create website and try to keep up on local tabs with friends. thats about it here though

Old 01-09-2006, 06:51 PM

1.) I'm a project engineer/engineering manager for a supplier to the paper industry.

2.) I enjoy football, baseball, college hoops, hunting, fishing, cars/trucks, motorcycles, home improvement/woodworking, movies, wathing the boob tube, and the occasional video game.

As much as I enjoy all of these, being from Wisconsin the one thing I enjoy the most is BEER.[sm=icon_cheers.gif] Sweet sweet Wisconsin brewed beer.[sm=icon_guiness.gif] No beer too cheap.[sm=partyparty.gif] No brewery too small.[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Quick Reply: What does everyone do?