MTX-75 5sp transmission making noises.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Default MTX-75 5sp transmission making noises.

02 Mercury Cougar 2.5l MTX-75 5sp transmission making noises.

My neighbor is having problems with his transmission and in the current economy he is a bit strapped for cash and asked me to take a look, hopefully not too far out of my league. I have rebuilt many engines and “as a hobby” a small number of automatic transmissions.

The trans seems to shift fine, no loss of power and little to no noise while driving in higher speeds (over 35), but slower speeds and in turns there is a low roar and or clunking noise. Transmission fluid level is correct but I have read using automatic transmission fluid (as the manual states to do) is not correct. I cannot confirm it is automatic transmission fluid, as the odor is one I am not familiar with, though I do smell the stench of a limited slip additive.

Driver’s side off the ground the noise is evident to be internal transmission at the driver’s side output shaft when rotating tire by hand. Back and forth movement and there is a notable clunk in the same area. Similar sound to a warn ring-n-pinion for lack of better way to describe.

While confidence is high I can do this build, I look to your experience to tell me what problems I may run into. I plan to order the standardbearing kit with synchronizers but have yet to determine what bearings and shims come in this kit, and what more may be needed. I am aware that we will likely need to order a gear or two (clunking) but will likely need to wait until disassembly to determine which.

I am the OEM type so I plan on making no modifications, will do my best to bring everything to factory specifications.

Thanks for looking

**Note to Moderator… I am sure this is not the correct forum for this posting, but see no option for “other Ford products”. This transmission is the same as the 02 year model Ford Focus so I took a chance.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

The fill should be a full synthetic 75-90..

I'll copy the post to 'other models owned by Ford', but it's ok here too..

If you need any disassembly illustrations, let us know..

Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM

Thank you for the reply and yes, any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

This will only be my second manual transmission repair and the other was a rear wheel Mustang this is a front wheel drive car, so I am a little on edge about it.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sent info to your Reg. address...

Old 12-02-2012, 03:00 PM

Holy information overload Batman, thank you very much.