Ranchero Body Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Default Ranchero Body Lift

I have a 1978 GT Ranchero. I'm having a blast with my new "old" truck/car (which one is it?). Actually, I'm using it more as a truck than a car, and that's getting me in a little trouble. I have been hunting out of it, and I need a little more clearance. I'm considering larger wheels/tires and lifting it a few inches. Here's the problem. I'm not a mechanic and I'm cheap! Actually, I'm not so much cheap as I'm broke most of the time. So, I'm not looking to just drive it to my local mechanic and turn my back while he tinkers and sends me a bill. I want to be able to research the parts, know what I'm ordering, and take it one step at a time with a little professional help as I go along. Also, I want to have fun learning about what I have. So my first project is to get thisride to make it through a few mud holes and clear some spaces where these other guys in their F250 4X4s have rutted it out. I'd love any perspective others have about how to do this without breaking the bank. I don't need a 4X4, I don't need things to shine real bright, and I don't need to make it through the Mississippi River (although I'm right on it). I just need to make it more functional for what I'm doing. Anybody have experience with what kind of parts/labor are necessary for lifting the body on this type of vehicle?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Default RE: Ranchero Body Lift

Like any vehicle - when you lift it you're taking the body (with the radiator) away from the frame (with the motor) and any wiring run through the frame will get busted unless you start there. Don't forget things like a longer speedo cable or drive shaft either. It all depends on how high you lift as to how much trouble you'll experience. If you custom fit bigger tires you may just get all the ground clearance you want. But you've gotta' start with either the body or wheels if you're on a budget. Keep in mind wheels alone are a big job to fit properly. You may need a lot of steering modifications in the front to fit big tires. And you'll have to watch the frame clearance on the front wheels. The rears should be less minor hassles.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Default RE: Ranchero Body Lift

Go to your local Bling Bling shop they lift everything in order to put on those hideously huge rims. They should be able to help.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM

You can search out the 1972 Australian UTE Falcon 4X4 (Ranchero) as your possible donor 1972 UTE FALCON 4X4 - Google Search

Old 02-01-2014, 09:54 PM

the ranchero's were a utility vehicle mounted on a car frame meaning you could haul a small load in the back like a truck but it drove and rode like a car. one thing you could try is putting some spacers in the springs and overloads in the rear