Remember the LTD II?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Default Remember the LTD II?

I have many not so fond memories of this car. My father bought a 1984 LTD II Broughm right off the truck for $9999.00. In 1984 that was expensive. This car was not one of Ford's best models. This car was constantly in the shop with major, major problems. Don't get me wrong it was comfortable, looked nice and drove nice when it was running. I remember being a new driver and being stranded in a dark parking lot because it wouldn't start and another time when it broke down right next to a gas pump and it just wouldn't start. My poor Dad bailed me out more times with this car (so much for safe, reliable transportation). He kept it and just continued to fix it until the day it broke down during my sister's driving test. That was the straw that broke the camels back so he went out and bought a Corolla. This car honestly almost spoiled me away from Ford forever. For years I refused to buy one for fear of the same problems.

Needless to say I got over it and now I have an 05 Mustang GT and so far so good!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Default RE: Remember the LTD II?

I think the LTD IIwas pretty much a restyled Ford Fairmont when Ford discontinued that model in '83. As I remember, the Fairmont also had a horrific reputation for reliability. I also think it was one of the most uninteresting cars Ford ever made as far as styling. Interestingly I still see alot of Fairmonts on the road today. I believe the T-Bird/Cougar was built on the old Fairmont platform when Ford restyled them in '83. My sister owned an '86 Cougar for 15 years and it was a great car. Interestingly, I still see alot of Fairmonts on the road today.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Default RE: Remember the LTD II?

Fairmont was basically a boxy spacier four door version of a mustang. Some suspension components cross over easily between them (as you may know). Your LTD II sounds like it had VERY less than top notch mechanics. In reality some mechanics mess up one thing to go bad after they fixed something else. Sad, current and common unfortunately. I can honestly say I have NEVER done that - however I am put down and lied about and low on cash most often for the very same reason. It likely wasn't the cars fault at all. I've seen it a hundred times over. Even had it done to me. (that pisses a mechanic off big time I must say) I took a good set of tires to have them put on rims 'cause I didn't feel like it and the bastard punctured it - came back out and says it needs a patch. SOB's -all the thieves really need is a second job.