stinkin' lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Default stinkin' lincoln

I have a few questions for all of you. I just bought a Lincoln continental with a 4.6 V8 and duel overhead cams. please keep in mind that I usually run from those type of engines because it usually makes for more things to go wrong if and when I start to have problems with it. my biggest concern is How dependable are those engines? And what can I expect from this engine? From what I've read on this forum the durability just ain't there. granted I know there's good and bad with any make or model.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Good Morning,
As you know , if we have three owners with three of these same engines, chances are one will be better than the second and the third. A lot will depend on how the vehicle was maintained and used. I know we all have seen this where a relatively trouble free engine will not perform or last as long or perform as well if neglected or abused.
If you have some idea how the engine was maintained and the mileage , it could very possibly give what we would call "good service". On the other hand if it was neglected there is a price to pay for that. I know you knew all this, but that is how I see it.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Thanks Hanky, I don't usually care about the mileage on any engine cause we all know it always comes down to how well the engine has and be maintained. my car was used as a business car and therefore it has just over 200,000 miles on it but from what the dealer has told me that it was well maintained they didn't neglect the oil changes or anything like that. A lot of those miles are highway miles and not bunch of city stop and go traffic. the bad side of this deal is that I can't even see the spark plugs and the engine sits sideways. I know that's cause the car is front wheel drive. I've asked the dealer for a power train service if something goes wrong and he told me that he couldn't due the mileage already on the car. So now that brings up a few more questions for me cause the technical advances are what seems to be just beyond my knowledge. the car runs drives like it was still new, I just want to keep it going like that.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:15 PM

With that mileage , I think it's a roll of the dice.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 AM

you know it's a role of the dice with any vehicle that's used and abused. then there's those that are straight off the factory floor they might last a while but, it seems to me there's always something wrong with them too

Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Big car small engine. Drive the stinking Lincoln like you have a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal. It is what it is. It should be fine mechanically since it appears to run fine now. Is this one of those engines where the threaded spark plugs blow out of the head?

I worry about all the electrics. Both controlling the comfort/convenience features and the engine monitoring. Double that worry if she sees a lot of salt.

skip.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:05 PM

I may have spoken way too soon, because as I was driving it around town yesterday the message center told me to check the trans. and when I took out the stick I didn't like what I seen or smelled. yes I put in the fluid and now it's full but the warning is still there. I'm thinking it will need another trans. before too much longer. it still shifts out ok but I know that usually if the fluid ain't pink then the clutch packs are on their way out.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:28 PM

well I retrieved the codes and found out that the torque converter pressure switch is going bad or works off and on. and it's running too lean on both banks so I'm thinking that it might have a vacuum leak somewhere but I ain't gonna find that for any reason. and it looks like I'll have to replace the transmission before too long. Just a little update for y'all.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Many times when we get a lean condition on both banks the MAF sensor might be sending wrong info to the PCM.
Don't forget to check the PCV hose and connections from the PCV valve to the intake manifold, common problem, they split ,crack and develop holes. I know you knew this, but just thought a reminder would help.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 PM

if and when I take the car in to get a tune up I'll be sure to mention that to the mechanic. my biggest concern is the t.c. switch in the trans. granted I know my way around an engine and what makes them run but this one is way more advanced than poor little ole me, and I don't want to make matters worse by using this engine as learning venture the lean burn is something that I can live with for the time being. It's the transmission that I wonder about.

Quick Reply: stinkin' lincoln