Transmission All geared up? Talk trans here. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Car accelerates when put in drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Default Car accelerates when put in drive

Hello All,

I bought a 67 Country Sedan a couple years back and put it in storage. I pulled it out last week and pulled the heads to resurface the exhaust side to quiet her down.

That said, all went well until I started it and put her in drive and gave her a bit of gas. Whoa!! Out of nowhere the rear wheels started burning rubber and away we went. I did not depress the pedal to warrant this peel out. I hit the brakes and had to turn off the ignition to stop it.

This happened every time (three times) I started it. In park I can rev up the engine and everything is fine.

I looked at the linkage down below and saw that a horizontal shaft from the column shift linkage to the tranny linkage had pulled out of its bracket. I thought this was the problem. I reinserted said shaft and thought all was fine. Repeated starting and put into gear and away we went again.

Anyone have any thoughts on what is going on with this tranny?

Thank you in advance.

Don

Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 AM

Does the engine rev up when you put it in drive? Do you give it a little gas then it goes? Could be a broke motor mount and causeing the gas pedal to be drepressed. Does it have a cable or rod ?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 AM

If you can't see the cause by just looking, what I would do is remove the throttle linkage from the carburetor and just make sure you leave the throttle return spring in place. Then try placing it in gear while running. The motor mount check is a good place to look also Good suggestion. Also , I believe there is a detent rod from the carb linkage to the trans which gets you into passing gear when the throttle is floored. You can safely remove that to confirm the problem is linkage related. I would think the cause is something simple where you reassembled the linkage and itis just not correct.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:21 PM

Thank you, I'll check both ideas out.

Don

Old 08-18-2011, 07:23 PM

Prior to removing the heads and intake manifold I drove it into my shop with no problem. Something must be hung up somewhere.... Will get to it on my days off.