Transmission All geared up? Talk trans here. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Transmission (Seal Popped)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Default Transmission (Seal Popped)

I have a 2001 Lincoln Navigator 4X4 and while driving I noticed my car smoking and transmission fluid was literarly pouring out. I took the car to a mechanic and he informed me that the seal popped out of thetorque converter.He replaced the seal and said either: High line pressure or Bad Pump Bushing caused the seal to pop. My question is...Is it okay to continue to drive the car now that the seal has been repaired (he informed me that it's okay) or should I go ahead and repair the High line pressure or Bad Pump Bushing. How much is the repair for the seal, how much is it to repair the High line pressure or Bad Pump Bushing. Also, how long can I drive until the seal pops again? Please give me some direction.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 AM
Default RE: Transmission (Seal Popped)

well your mechanic should have told you if you had a bad pump bushing.the torque converter would have either metal stuck to it or deep groves on the lips that go into the pump.also a loose converter will wobble causing the seal to pop out.hi line pressure will also pop the seal out but needs a more thorough diagnosis.hi line presure can be caused by a bad sensor,stuck valve in the valve body or a bad gasket or seal causing a cross leak in a cuircuit in the trans....also overfilling a trans with fluid will cause hi pressure.if the seal hasnt popped out yet chances are it wont.the only way to tell is have a thorough diagnosis at a trans shop,via presure test,specify you want a presure test and let them know all that has happened when the seal popped out as well as fluid level and condition.if the pump has a bushing failure youll have to replace the pump and torque converter,with the trans removed.