Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

98 Windstar quest for Isolator bolts or grommets

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Unhappy 98 Windstar quest for Isolator bolts or grommets

Need to replace the Plenum gaskets and Isolator bolts for the 98 Windstar GL 3.8 V6. Mine requires 12 bolts or grommets. Any idea where I can find them? Any hints or tips. I called the Ford parts department and they told me that it take regular hex bolts of assorted sizes. Doesn't make sense.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Why do you need to replace the "bolts"? Most Windstars need to have the rubber "grommets" replaced. These sit on the bolts.

The green things in the picture above.
They need to be replaced because the old ones get brittle and brake like this one:

The original rubber isolator grommets supposed to reduce the transfer of engine vibration to the intake manifold. However, the PCV system sucks oil fumes into the manifold and the rubber is affected by it. First, it becomes hard and that increases the engine noise. Second: the grommets shrink and thus leak air which causes rough idling in particular in cold weather.
The job is easy but time consuming. The grommets and the upper intake manifold seal kit cost $45 at Advance Auto Parts. It took me 4 hours, but I am a slow poke. I disconnected the battery negative cable. Then I removed the plastic cowl between the hood and the windshield and the plastic part that carries the wiper motor assembly. Then I removed the upper intake manifold (the upper plastic shell) while keeping track of the bolt locations. Next, I took off the snorkel together with the MAF sensor housing. Then I loosened the isolator bolts and lifted the spacer (lower plastic shell) off and moved it to the side. The throttle body and throttle cables are still attached. I used a socket and extension rod to push the isolator bolts out of the spacer. The old grommets (black) can be split with diagonal cutters to remove them from the sleeves. The new grommets (green and hopefully oil resistant) can be pushed over the sleeves by hand. I warmed them in my hand to make them more flexible. I cleaned the seal seats on the lower intake manifold with solvents and scraped the EGR ports open. Reassembly goes in reverse order. Obviously I had to disconnect and reconnect a lot of electrical harnesses and vacuum lines.

There are no special tools required and the Haynes manual lists the torque and tightening sequence to be used. You also can find good information and pictures here: 2000 Ford Windstar (Codes 171 and 174).

Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 PM

Thanks for your help. The links to the images will not open. I understand about the grommets and would be glad to use them if I can find them. I have seen images of them but have not been able to locate them. I have the Haynes manual. My vehicle is a 98 which has a different plenum than the other years and requires 12 isolator bolts. Do you have the link for the grommets or part number? The ones that I have located state they do not fit my vehicle and are only for 99 and later.
Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Old 10-03-2013, 04:58 PM

No , not PCV grommet. I'll get back to you.

What engine do you have? 3L or 3.8L?

Old 10-03-2013, 05:06 PM

It is 98 Windstar GL V6 3.8L. I appreciate your help. I have probably spent 8 hours trying to find the correct info I need. Thanks again.

Last edited by aridpaul; 10-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 PM

I believe you are looking for Ford Part Number F68Z9S479A.

I could not find a source for it. If you are unable to find them consider using a silicone gasket maker either to coat the old ones or to form your own. If you go this route use only an Oxygen sensor proof silicone gasket maker.

Well, I found one now:http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/...z-9s479-a.html

Old 10-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Thank you! You have been a big help! I have been going crazy trying to find this!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 PM

You are welcome! let us know how it goes.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 AM

Try going here www.fordpart.com/drewauto
This discount code may or may not work fpgh072w
You should be able to find a picture and order parts.
Have A great day !!

Quick Reply: 98 Windstar quest for Isolator bolts or grommets