Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Drivers window shot craps

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Default Drivers window shot craps

My drivers and passengers window quit working about a year ago. I replaced both motors and they worked for 6 moths or so and now the drivers window is acting up again. To get the window down I press the switch and need to hit the door panel at the area of the motor and it will start down. I need to hit it 2 more times to get it all the way down. To get the window up I need to hold the switch and pull the glass up. The glass will come up with hesitations that I need to pull through. It will not go up by itself. I have had the electronics checked by my brother who has 30 years experience installing avionics in corporate jets so I am confident that is not the issue. I have greased everything I can see and touch but no joy. Can anyone offer thoughts on what is going on?. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mals

Old 10-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Consider trying this, with the door covering removed, you are probably expert at this by this time, when you hold the up button in the window up position just touch the different wire connections at the motor and see if any of them allow the motor to operate. If moving any of the wiring connections don't get you any action, tap the motor itself. If that now causes the motor to operate , there is a poor connection in the motor itself. Sometimes where you obtained the replacement motors may help explain why durability comes into question. If neither makes any difference, there may be a break in the wiring that will test good with an ohm meter and yet still will not provide enough power to operate the motor. That point could be where the wire flexes where you open and close the door.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:58 PM

We measured the voltage with the plugs on and off the motor with the same results. Tapping the motor does not do anything but banging on the metal of the door at the motor will cause the window to move lightly. I was wondering if there any parts in the window assembly that could be worn or hanging up. I may just bite the bullet and try another motor next weekend.

Mals

Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM

One base that should be covered and that is the ground connection on the door itself, has that been confirmed?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:54 PM

The ground has been confirmed. I thought he said it is not a separate ground wire. I am not to savy on the electronics, that is my brothers department.

Mals