Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Default electrical issues

I have an 03 windstar sport. just the other day on my way to work my radio started to cut in and out. i went to roll up my window and the window wouldnt go up(power windows) then my radio went fuzzy and cut out, and at the same time my odometer went out. Meanwhile the van seemed to run fine. my speedometer still worked also. i pulled into my parking spot at work and when i shut the van off the radio came back on and my lights turned on and would not shut off, and the van wouldnt start again. so i took the post off and let the van sit for about 4 hours came back out put the post on and it started and everything seemed to work fine. when i left work i only made it about 5 miles and the electrical went again but the van continued to run for about another 5 miles till it started to stall. it wouldnt completely die. it sputtered till i finally pulled over. I read about it possibly being the rear REM computer located in the compartment where the jack is stored, when i check i could not find anything in that compartment but on the opposite side there were a couple of relays and a bunch of harnesses. i pulled the relays and it looks like the posts were heated and burnt a little. can anyone help???

Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Did you varify the alt/battery is charging within spec?

When the system voltage falls off, it will cause most of those issues..

Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM

i have not yet check the altenator. I have been told many different things. one guy told me it could be the rear REM and another guy said it could be the fuel pump. i havent got a clue what it could be.