Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

I'm new to Windstars,, Help req'd

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Default I'm new to Windstars,, Help req'd

Good afternoon Gentlemen,
I am new to both Windstars and this forum. I recently obtained a 2003 SEL with118k and a1999 SEL with 85k. The 2003 is mint in and out, its only flaw is an intake gasket that needs replaced. The 1999 has issues but I think it could be as nice as the 2003. I'm hoping that this forum can be as much help to me as the MARK VIII forum was on my last project.
Let me introduce myself. I retired from Goodyear 12 years ago. I was an engineer in the airspring group. I assisted Ford on the Mark VIII suspension design and the Aerostar. (for those of you that didn't know, Aerostar was slated for four corner air suspension similar to the Mark VIII)
OK, so much for the superfluous ship.. I was able to find the info on fixing the passenger window and now I would like to take care of a couple other pesky fixes.
"LIFTGATE AJAR" The hatch is closed! Why won't the ^$#* warning go off?
"OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" I can't reset the dash warning. Can y'all help me out with these simple tasks?

Rog aka 66Ragman
Did I mention that I'm an OLD man? So talk slow and LOUD.....

Old 06-15-2015, 09:49 PM

I haven't worked on windstars so this is general information. /hopefully it applies. Usually, door switches close a grd path to tell the module the door is ajar. open circuit will result in the light never coming on.
what are they using for an ajar switches. If there are plungers make sure they are not shorted to grd. Any short to grd in the wire will turn on the warning light

if you can access the plunger wire and at the module located in the right rear quarter panel; disconnect it from the module and check the wire for continuity to grd..it should not have it.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by primem
I haven't worked on windstars so this is general information. /hopefully it applies. Usually, door switches close a grd path to tell the module the door is ajar. open circuit will result in the light never coming on.
what are they using for an ajar switches. If there are plungers make sure they are not shorted to grd. Any short to grd in the wire will turn on the warning light

if you can access the plunger wire and at the module located in the right rear quarter panel; disconnect it from the module and check the wire for continuity to grd..it should not have it.
Thank you for your reply,
I have found two (2) spring loaded devices that I am assuming are the closed sensors. I will have to remove the hatch interior panel to access these. I will let you know what I find.
Thanks again
Rog