Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

No AC

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Angry No AC

Hey everyone. My '98 windstar is having trouble. Last summer, my AC started to go on the fritz. The backseat zone would only blow out hot air when the AC was on but the front was blowing ice cold. Now, I tried the AC for the first time this year and only cool air is coming out. It's as if i have the **** is set on vent. I don't hear the AC kick on or feel a slight power drain that you would normally feel when the condenser/compresser(?) kicks on. Any ideas? Could it be something simple? Please reply. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM

I would say start by checking the relay and the fuse.Relay mostly, if you havent used it for a while.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Default AC

Thanks for giving me a starting point. Any idea where I can get a diagram online for the AC system? I know there are a bunch of larger fuses and relays under the hood. Is that where it would be? As you can tell, I really have no idea on AC's and don't want a mechanic to have a field day with me if it's possibly something simple like what you're suggesting. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:37 AM
Thumbs up

I don't know where to get a diagram online but i kwow they make a haynes manual specialy for ac.For 15$,it will give you good notion of ac systems with diagrams.The relays should be clearly identified in the top of the plastic box.I'm not sure exacly where they are,i don't have a windstar myself.Good luck.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Default AC troubles continue...

Hey all. I got some of my A/C trouble fixed...turns out there was a pinhole in one of the pipes from the compressor and all the freon was gone. So, got the pipe replaced, recharged the freon, and ice cold air! However, still no cold air in the rear zone. The air will not switch from the floor vents to the ceiling vents and burning hot air is coming out of floor vents no matter what direction I turn the rear switch control on the dash. Also, I replaced the rear control switch and still the same. Now here's the next problem...When I accelerate, the cold AC blowing out of the front vents switches to either the floor vents in the front or the defroster vents! It's as if the power strain from accelerating the car takes too much power away from the AC and causes it to switch. I slow down, play with the switch for the AC, turn down the fan speed, and eventually it will return to the front vents. But once I accelerate again, the whole scenario starts all over again. Very frustrating since I finally got the cold AC to at least come out the front zone, but still can't enjoy it!!! Does this sound like a simple fix, some kind of vacuum pressure problem or something like that? Please help!

Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 AM

Sounds like a vacuum leak in one of your vacuum lines. Check under the dash in the passenger side area. A loss of vacuum causes the system to defalt to the defrost mode. Vacuum drops as engine speed increases under acceleration. Also check the vacuum line leading to the vacuum canister between the inner and outer front fender. Loss of vacuum will also affect the rear settings.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Smile

How about removing the grill and clean the filter? Clean out any clogs in the evaporator or condenser coils by using a vacuum and scrubbing them carefully with an old toothbrush. If the unit simply won't blow air, it means the fan motor is bad. Fix machine leaks by unclogging the exhaust with a screwdriver, and then double-check for correct installation. Avoid ice buildup on coils by cleaning dirty air filters. Or, in external weather conditions colder than 60 degrees, defrost the coil by turning the selector switch to the fan position. Let it run until the ice melts. Remove the cabinet, relocate the condenser fan and stiffen the screw at center of fan in the case of rattling noise. The rattle is coming from a wobbly condenser or evaporator fan hitting the coils or housing. If you are looking for a good ac condenser buy car ac condenser, you can count on autocondenserstore.com.
God Bless!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Have you checked your ac gas....i think there is some leakage in it..take it to your mechanic and ask him to check the gas and if it is so..ask him to fill the gas..

Old 06-27-2010, 11:59 PM

i am also having the same problem with my 98 windstar the rear only blows hot air i have checked for freon but it is ok can someone please give me some direction thank you

Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 AM

The rear evaporator uses an expansion valve. These can sometimes fail. If you look under the van on the driver's side, directly under where the door latch is you will see 4 lines. Three large and one small. The first 2 outside lines are the coolant lines to and from the rear heater core. The next large is the low pressure A/C return line from the rear evaporator and the fourth small line is the A/C high pressure line to the rear evaporator. The heater core lines will always be hot as coolant flows thru the system at all times. You have a heater control valve that diverts the coolant back to the engine block or thu the rear heater core. With the rear A/C ON and running, the small high pressure line should be hot to the touch and the large low pressure line should be cold to the touch. If this is the case, the expansion valve is operating and then I would suspect a bad heater control valve.

If your heater control valve is failing or failed, the heater control valve will not shut off the flow of coolant to your heater core. Thus, even in A/C cold mode you will get heat out of the upper A/C vents.