Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Oil change required

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Default Oil change required

Good Evening Gentlemen,
I have a question about my 1999 Windstar. I have a dash warning light that says "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED". The manual gives directions to reset. Question 1 is: Do I have to change the oil to reset this light? On my 95 Lincoln I could reset the light without changing oil. The Windstar reset says to go to the change oil required screen and hold reset. The screen goes to next screen which is where you reset to 100 percent life and immediately switches back to the running screen not allowing the reset.

Is that little computer smart enough to know that I didn't change the oil??

HOW DO IT KNOW??

Rog

Old 06-20-2015, 04:27 PM

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but if it is due for an oil change why not change it and the filter then try the reset . If the light goes out then we know the answer, The computer sheza know !

Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
I don't know the exact answer to your question, but if it is due for an oil change why not change it and the filter then try the reset . If the light goes out then we know the answer, The computer sheza know !
I'ma gonna do justa dat!
Rog

Old 06-22-2015, 07:54 PM

most systems I have dealt with use an algorithm within the ecm to calculate oil life.

you are performing the reset with the key in run, engine off?

Old 06-23-2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by primem
most systems I have dealt with use an algorithm within the ecm to calculate oil life.

you are performing the reset with the key in run, engine off?

Yessir,, Key in the run position, engine off.. didn't work....OK so key in the run position, engine on.. didn't work..
the screen flashes to "reset 100%" and instantly goes off. I'm going to change the oil but I'm reasonably sure it won't reset after then either.
I'll let you know..

Rog aka 66Ragman
Present Stable; C6 Vette, '03 Windstar, 99 Windstar, 98 Concord, 95 Caravan, 90 Caravan, 66 Impala SS Rag, 50 Chev Coupe, 79 Honda LTD

Old 06-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Default How do it know?

Gentlemen;
Having spent much more time than I should have trying to figure out how to reset the "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" message, I can now report that after changing the oil the reset worked just fine.
My question is still "HOW DO IT KNOW?"
Rog aka 66Ragman

Old 06-27-2015, 08:03 AM

I will take a shot at the answer after doing a little checking.

It seems the decision is based on miles run and amount of fuel used . This info is compiled from the instrument panel info and collected in the vehicle's PCM and compared to programmed information in the PCM. Some units also incorporate a time factor.
Not sure if the memory changes with battery disconnect or battery dead condition. If a reset is called for after a disconnect that might suggest the info is kept in the vehicle's KAM (keep alive memory). I have that info , but just have to locate it and that could take me a while.

Me thinks that 's how it knows !

Old 06-28-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
I will take a shot at the answer after doing a little checking.

It seems the decision is based on miles run and amount of fuel used . This info is compiled from the instrument panel info and collected in the vehicle's PCM and compared to programmed information in the PCM. Some units also incorporate a time factor.
Not sure if the memory changes with battery disconnect or battery dead condition. If a reset is called for after a disconnect that might suggest the info is kept in the vehicle's KAM (keep alive memory). I have that info , but just have to locate it and that could take me a while.

Me thinks that 's how it knows !

I can understand how it knows when it's time to change oil. BUT even if I don't change it and I try to reset it, how does it know I am trying to fool it? AND after I change it, it resets with no problem....
How does it know I changed the oil, or not???
Rog

Old 06-29-2015, 03:56 AM

Sounds like you probably have an oil level sensor in your oil pan. Once you drain the oil and refill it, the sensor resets. Look for an electrical connection going to your oil pan somewhere on its side to verify this.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
Sounds like you probably have an oil level sensor in your oil pan. Once you drain the oil and refill it, the sensor resets. Look for an electrical connection going to your oil pan somewhere on its side to verify this.

OUTSTANDING!
I haven't got under the car since the change but that's an answer that could work. I did notice that the oil level was low when I changed it...
Do you really think Ford would go that far to get me to change the oil?
I just got this Windstar and I have no idea when the oil was changed last or how long the message was being displayed but all is well now, so on to bigger and more pressing problems.
I am sooo OCD when it comes to my cars. If it ain't right it drives me nuts.
Rog

Quick Reply: Oil change required