Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Additional Lighting and/or Updated Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Default Additional Lighting and/or Updated Lighting

First I'll ask if anyone has enhanced their tail lights. My E150 is used for transporting a wheelchair. This E150 is a 1996 with 14,000 miles on it (no odometer rollover) so she's just broken in. As you can guess, collision insurance is ridiculous because of the van's age. If totaled, replacement would be around 40K or more.

I need to have little old ladies and those not paying attention while driving notice me coming with a conspicuous appearance in the front by lights and brighter lights in the rear. I've already purchased Cool Blue Sylvania headlight bulbs.

Does anyone know about LED bulbs for tail lights? Ive been all over the internet viewing Euro style assemblies and looking for bulbs. Any assistance would be of great help.

Website For FloridaE150

Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM

Something you can try and it doesn't cost a lot of $.
It's called conspicuity tape. It is the red and white reflective tape that is required on many commercial vehicles like school buses, trailers etc.
If placed in the right places it alerts the oncoming vehicles day or nite, of the size and location of your vehicle. I'm sure you have seen this before on many vehicles. Most drivers are already familiar with this type marking and USUALLY know enough to stay back or stay away. What do you think ?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Default Daytime Running Lights

I have seen that tape and its a last resort. I'm thinking I'll solve the rear lighting eventually through replacement... possibly Euro-style?

They just look like they're brighter. Are they?

Anyway, for the front I'll have the Sylvania Cool Blue Halogens. I took a photo of my van and artistically made it night time, around dusk, and added LED Daytime Running Lights [CLICK] which look pretty good.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Maybe I misunderstood your original post. Are you only carrying a wheel chair or a patient in that wheelchair? The reason I ask that question is because I have seen where motorists have driven into the back of firetrucks and ambulances at accident scenes with lights all over the place and you can't have too many cautions if you are carrying wheelchair bound patients. Pretty lights don't do a darn thing to deter these people.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Default Fixed

Originally Posted by hanky
Maybe I misunderstood your original post. Are you only carrying a wheel chair or a patient in that wheelchair? The reason I ask that question is because I have seen where motorists have driven into the back of firetrucks and ambulances at accident scenes with lights all over the place and you can't have too many cautions if you are carrying wheelchair bound patients. Pretty lights don't do a darn thing to deter these pepatient.
Carrying a wheelchair bound person. Anyway, Spyder Euro-style rear lights are much brighter with standard bulbs. LED bulbs make top it off. Already had compliments on them. Added an LED bulb to the high mount 3rd brake light as well. Up front, Cool Blue bulbs by Sylvania turn the dark into day.