Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 5.4L Fuel Pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Default 2001 5.4L Fuel Pump issue

My fuel pump went out a little over a year ago. I dropped the tank and replaced the pump. Since then the pump has stopped running every 6 months or so. After replacing the pump twice more I'm thinking there maY be more going on. 2 days ago my truck was running fine when I stopped at a store, but when I went to leave it wouldn't start and I couldn't hear the pump running. I disconnected the battery for a minute or two then after reconnecting it the truck started right up and the pump was whirring like it was brand new. Then yesterday the truck quit while I was driving it. This time I disconnected the battery, replaced the fuel pump relay, checked the fuses, and changed the filter just to be safe. Once again it started right up and the pump was whirring like new. Now today it quit again while I was driving. This is getting to be a hassle and I'm running out of things to replace. Has anyone run into something like this before?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-25-2015, 02:53 PM

Hi superfly,
dgreat is coming !

Maybe we can put a little lite on a few things that might help.
You already are aware of the fuel pump relay and filter, so lets go a little further. This may be a review for you , but we need to touch the bases anyway.
As you know when you first turn the key on the fuel pump relay is energized by the computer(PCM) for 1-2 seconds. After that the PCM needs to see an RPM signal from the crank sensor to keep the fuel pump relay energized. That is a safety feature so the pump stops pumping in the event of a mishap , no RPM (engine not running-no fuel).
The crank sensor does not always set any code , but you can tell if it is working by observing the check engine lite which should go out when cranking the engine. If the check engine lite stays on there is a problem with either the sensor, the wiring or the PCM.
If the lite goes out when cranking we know the signal is present, but aren't sure it is getting to the PCM, so we check the plugs on the PCM for any corrosion.If OK, then we need to confirm if the voltage is getting to the fuel pump. It comes from the relay to the inertia switch (location depending on whether the vehicle is an F model or an E model (check owner's manual) then goes to the fuel pump in the tank. A good portion of the time a poor ground to and at the pump will cause intermittent operation.
How about you check the above items and see if any of them help locate the problem? Let us know what and if you find anything OK ?