Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no running lights no dash lights, head lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:39 AM
Default no running lights no dash lights, head lights stay on

I was hoping someone might be able to identify with this issue. my dash lights dont work, runnings lights dont either, and the head lights stay on after a whileof driving, hazrds, blnkrs , and brk lghts all work fine, ive cleaned up some of trhe grnd connections to no avail but i was able to get the font runnng lights to glow just little bit. need help , i tired of drivingin the dark with my hzrds on. any one, somebody heeeeeelp

THANKS

Old 09-29-2013, 01:55 PM

It would help a lot if we knew the year and model of your vehicle !

Old 09-29-2013, 03:25 PM

you right , sorry bout that i have a 2000 f150 v6 4.2l. in fact I did look for a option in the user control area to include that info but i did not see any or maybee i just dont know what i am doing.
so does that mean that i should include that info every time i post

Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM

Usually if it is included in the first post, anyone that needs to check can always go back to the first post stating the problem.

It seems that lately a lot of problems are starting to appear that can be attributed to leaking windshields of which the owner is unaware. This moisture gets into the fuse panel, GEM & SJB with corrosion problems. GEM=generic electronic module/body control module & SJB= smart junction box/glorified fuse/relay box.
Most of the time it requires replacement. Some determined folks have managed to open them up and clean them effecting temporary repairs. It does sound like the GEM is having a problem. A good move would be to confirm good connections where possible and see if the windshield has actually allowed water to get into them. Driver's side dash. Sometimes you can actually see the rust present on the components.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:05 PM

HANKY, thanks for your help, i do apreciate it. I have been driving to work for the last week with my hzrds on. I do have a crack in windshield and I did notice actual water dripping off my grab handle inside the cab (definate moisture problem) this is not from crack but from poor weather stripping around windshield. I will certainly check into these points of interest, although it sounds to be a dauntin task I must press on; If there is any advice you could give to me would be great.

I just recently checked with a voltmeter to the back of light switch and it seems that all terminals are reading about 11 volts but when i checked them wiht my little test light I get a real soft glow eminating from the tan/white wire going in to the #10 terminal I am sure this isnt good is it. THANKS AGAIN

Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 PM

update to post, with alot of help from a ford enthusiast I was able to locate a corroded wire under the power dist. box,#18 fuse i think it was . Added a new wire with some shrink tape and the job is done every thing is working great. thanks to everyone who provided their advice THANKS AGAIN