Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Problem with 1995 F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Default Serious Problem with 1995 F150

When I start driving the truck, it is fine for maybe a minute or two. Then the Overdrive Off light starts flashing nonstop, the check engine light comes on, and the radio light goes out. It does not show anything. It is just a blank screen, but the radio will still play and function.

Also, sometimes the truck will also not accelerate. It acts as if the truck is turned off and you press the gas pedal, it does nothing. There is no sound at all. It sounds as if the engine shuts off for a few seconds. Then it comes back and I can accelerate again. I bought a new air filter today and might put it on tomorrow.

I will be under the hood tomorrow so what are some other things I could check out to try to fix my problem?

Also, besides the normal not safe because of the no acceleration, is it safe to drive the truck?

Old 10-11-2011, 04:59 PM

The OD lite usually comes on and flashes when there is a trans problem.
Because you are also getting a check engine light there may be more than one problem.
If possible get the code(s) from the computer . It will give you the engine and trans codes.
Many auto stores will provide the service free of just reading the codes.
They may even explain what the codes cover.
Until you get some idea as to just what is happening, best to drive carefully if necessary.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Okay thank you. The thing is, it is a new trans... I might try to head to Auto Zone tomorrow and get a reading...

Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Default Loses acceleration while driving

Originally Posted by CADeBot
When I start driving the truck, it is fine for maybe a minute or two. Then the Overdrive Off light starts flashing nonstop, the check engine light comes on, and the radio light goes out. It does not show anything. It is just a blank screen, but the radio will still play and function.

Also, sometimes the truck will also not accelerate. It acts as if the truck is turned off and you press the gas pedal, it does nothing. There is no sound at all. It sounds as if the engine shuts off for a few seconds. Then it comes back and I can accelerate again. I bought a new air filter today and might put it on tomorrow.

I will be under the hood tomorrow so what are some other things I could check out to try to fix my problem?

Also, besides the normal not safe because of the no acceleration, is it safe to drive the truck?
REPLY;
When the light on the overdrive light stays on and you lose accelaration, it is indicative of a defective (cracked) speed sensor mounted on top of the transmission. A defective speed sensor loses direction and does not know what gear to shift and at times it seems it shifts into neutral while running and the accelaration becomes nonexitant. New speed sensors are sold at Transmission Specialize Parts Stores. Sensors cost about $39, but the labor intense may run up about $200 to install.
Homer

Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM

So, when you say stay on, do you mean stay on as if I had turned overdrive off, or as if it is blinking? But would that also cause the check engine light to come on?