Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

F-250 Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Default F-250 Fuel Mileage

2004 F-250 4x4. I now have 19k miles on this truck. I am running a 4.5" Donahoe lift kit with 35" Toyo Open Country tires. Digital readout says 12.8 (that is around town), and (maybe 13.5 on th hwy?). I keep it about 70 on the speedo and I think that is about 76 on my gps? on the avg and 322 miles to empty. Okay, this really really sucks!!! I know the tires throw off the speedo. I am going to put the stock tires back on and see what this mileage really is. I have to be honest I was expecting a lot better and am surprised the tires would have that big of an impact on such a robust truck and engine. I have already had the fuel filter replaced as the fuel water light came on. Also had the tranny pulled with the latest recall. And had the engine chip flashed (no better/no worse). I do NOT want to start with the 2000.00 project of air intake, exhaust, programmers etc...

Old 06-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Default RE: F-250 Fuel Mileage

A quest for better fuel economy will be a very expensive one when it comes to most vehicles. For any type of suggestion to be made, one important thing we would all need to know is, what engine? V10? Diesel/Gas? A V10 will eat up your gas like a fat kid suck'n down a 64oz. slurpy. It just won't stop for nothing! The diesel, well that will eat gas too, but not as bad as a V10. In fact, if you have a desiel, you should definately CHIP IT! Get a Hypertech, or a Predator, or a Superchip and get it soon. The technical specs for performance programmers for diesels, they report that you can gain up to 100hp and 50 to 100lb's of torque on a chip'd Diesel. Keep in mind that that will eat a bit more gas, but at least, you get a trade off. Less fuel economy, but much more power. And it's the cheapest way to do it.

The fact is that larger tires can greately effect any vehicles mileage, as more power is required to move those big fellas. Also, keep in mind the larger your tires, the higher of a profile you present to the wind while you drive as well, which means you have a log more wind drag as well. A tonneau cover can maybe increase your gas mileage, as it'll improve your aerodynamics over the bed of your truck, by eliminating that huge parachute all trucks pull around behind them, known as the truck bed.

Some definate things you should look into are air intake and exhaust. The more air your engine can get better fuel cumbustion will happen, meaning you getter a BURN on the gas that's being used and that means less fuel for your needed horsepower, so no wasted fuel. That means better fuel economy you can get. Yes, it's also a fact you also get more horsepower and torque for this (hey, bonus!), but better fuel economy is also a benefit. And just as important as air intake, is exhaust. The better your engine can "exhale" that air it just took in and fired off, the better the fuel economy as well. Again a secondary effect is more torque and horsepower as well.

The 2000.00 dollars exhaust improvement? You must be referring to maybe a BANKS Power System. That's a good system and the Ottomind chip and total exhaust and intake replacement kit is a good investment. Also there's a TransCommand unit out there by Banks that improves shift performance, and over-all life expectancy of your tranny with more heat reduction, and firmer shift points. All this means better fuel economy as your tranny pulls those monster tires as well.

Speaking of Tranny, your gear ratio can also be a factor on fuel consumption, you may notice other vehicles with identical engines get better or worse mileage than your vehicle does, and that "could" be due to a different ratio. Most likely you have 3.73 or a 4.1 or if you have a really big rig, a 4.3. That 4.1 and 4.3 is going to really affect your gas economy.

However, if you shop around a bit, you'll find other competing companies offering similar/identical type systems/products for about 1/2 the price. Gibson offers a cat back high flow exhaust for about 300.00 to 400.00 and you can get a high flow air ram intake for about 300.00 and a SuperChip or Hyptertech III Programmer for about 300.00. Now you can go find some Gibson headers for about 500.00, and that's totalling approximately 1400.00 to 1600.00 so that saves you quite a bit!

In any matter, no matter what you really do, you'll never get "leaps and bounds" of improvement for your fuel economy on these heavy duty trucks. However, with gas prices today, ANYTHING you can do to save money, typically is a good idea.

Keep in mind, that all of this is just suggestions. I'm not an expert, and nothing is guaranteed to be the shared opinion of everyone, and I'm sure someone out there will argue it all with me, but I'm just displaying some options. It's all up to you, but in fact, 12 - 14 mpg is average for the larger motors in the F-250. This is why Ford's corporate website denotes the fuel rating and economy for the F-250 and above as "N/A". They know it sucks and don't want to report it - it's meant to be a work vehicle more than anything. All the pulling, and work you do with a "work truck" greatly varies the fuel economy you get on them. For those who didn't get an F-250 for towing, hauling, working, all you can do is some mods to your vehicle to "try" and help yourself along to get better fuel economy.

Good luck on your quest, and hopefully find a suitable solution for improving your gas mileage.

Old 06-17-2005, 02:14 AM

did you regear the diffs when you put bigger tires on? if not, that may be part of your problem. the gears being to low is not the only problem that can hurt gas milage. if the gears are to high for those tires, the engine must work harder to accerate, meaning more fuel burned. for gears, you need a gear that will allow the truck to accelerate with out working so hard but at the same time, does not cruise at high RPMs. Look here: http://www.onandoffroad4wheeldrive.c...atio_guide.htm

Old 07-13-2005, 04:46 PM

somebody tell me about v-10 gas mileage and what i can expect rob

Old 07-13-2005, 06:53 PM

In the end it dont matter how much you sharpen the pencil--- Horse Power + Torque will never = Fuel Economy.... Every one wants to drive BigFoot till they have to open up the wallet an then they cry cause it aint a Ford Courier..I will never understand the thinking of spending thousands of dollars for a lotta horse power an the turning around an spending thousands more to try an improve the fuel mileage by 1-2 gallons, which in the end you are going to blow out the tail pipe , an then start comprizing the relability of the product. Just cant have your cake an eat it to Kinda like the 70's all over again Detroit has finally come back with the Big Horse Power Engine's-- due to the public demand, an once again the cost of Fuel Sky Rockets. I dont think we will ever see Fuel under $2.00 a gallon again, I can remember as a boy there was Gas Wars an it going for .10 cents a gallon, Of course my first Home didnt cost as much as a vechile does today either { Can I Say Back In The Day }

Old 10-07-2005, 04:43 AM

ORIGINAL: rescuerob44

somebody tell me about v-10 gas mileage and what i can expect rob
What a fitting name for a guy with a v-10!!!All I can say is go buy as many GERRY CANS AS YOU CAN CARRY!!!!!

Old 07-09-2006, 05:56 PM

Hey all, I am wanting to purchase a F250 Diesel this week and am wanting to know if any of you have one and what kind of gas mileage do you get? I will be pulling a 10,000 pound fifth wheel camper on it most the winter and in the summer all the time pulling a utility trailer with three commercal mowers that weigh a total of about 5,000 lbs. I have a 2500 Dodge Hemi right now and get about 10 miles to the gallon on GAS. Will getting a Ford Diesel have better mileage in the end? I will be traveling on the highway to Florida and Vegas with the camper in the winter.