Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Default Fuel problems

I have a 92 F250 and when i turn the key on without starting the truck the fuel pump stays on. I no that it should only run for maybe 20 seconds then shut off but don't. It don't matter if it's the front take or rear. I replaced the relay, and several other parts. Please help this is driveing me nuts I miss my truck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 PM

When you turn the key on the fuel pump should run for 1-2 seconds. If you remove the fuel pump relay does it still keep running?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 PM

Hello i have a 84 f350 supper cab with dual tanks i was told the rear tank is no good and not to use it iplan on switching it out but in the mean time the gas gauge is readding empty all the time for the front tank all other gage but speed domitor work so im not sure what the issue may be i only know that my tank is full when the gas is to the top of the tank after that it is a guess any ideas ??? trying to avoid replacing things that may not need it yet

Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
When you turn the key on the fuel pump should run for 1-2 seconds. If you remove the fuel pump relay does it still keep running?
No it doesn't. The pump will shot off when I pull the relay. I did find that if I played with the key it would shot off. So I raplaced the key meckinism and the eletrical part on the bottom off the colum. Still no help.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by crissy
Hello i have a 84 f350 supper cab with dual tanks i was told the rear tank is no good and not to use it iplan on switching it out but in the mean time the gas gauge is readding empty all the time for the front tank all other gage but speed domitor work so im not sure what the issue may be i only know that my tank is full when the gas is to the top of the tank after that it is a guess any ideas ??? trying to avoid replacing things that may not need it yet
To me it sounhds like the float in your tank. I had a similar problem like that before. I replaced the float and pump as one unit. Hope that helps.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:10 PM

There should be only three things that will keep the fuel pump running all the time when the engine is not running. They would be a defective fuel pump relay ,the ECA is not working as it should or a possible short to power for the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by toyer
To me it sounhds like the float in your tank. I had a similar problem like that before. I replaced the float and pump as one unit. Hope that helps.
It's a pain to drop the tank in order to fix the fuel gauge , but if it is the float , some of them just snap back into place on the rod of the older gauge units. If I'm not mistaken an 84 has a carburetor set up so the gauge is fairly simple.