Ford F-250 & Ford F-350 The heavier duty full sized trucks from Ford, offering bigger, more powerful engines and drivetrains for the abuse they may go through in the workplace.

Help troubleshoot my electrical please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Default Help troubleshoot my electrical please!

Hey All,
I have a 99 F250 7.3L 2x4. Last week somebody shoved a screwdriver into the passenger side lock and then tried to steal it by shoving a screwdriver into the keyhole. They got halfway done and then scampered off with a radio. I was trying to remove the ignition cylinder and ended up starting it with a screwdriver and driving it home. On the way home I lost all power and it died. I was able to coast into a gas station parking lot. No crank no start. I assumed it was an antitheft device so I called a locksmith and he replaced the ignition cylinder. Still no crank no start. Under the hood I had a pretty ugly battery I replaced it. No crank no start. Had it towed to the house. i replaced the relay starter solenoid and starter. Now I'm getting 12.6v to starter. I go to turn my key and the starter sounds like a jackhammer and all my dash lights blink once a second. Starter should be the right one paired up by the computer at autozone. Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Help troubleshoot my electrical please!-image.jpeg  
Old 10-29-2015, 05:31 PM

Taking things one at a time, your vehicle should have 2 batteries. If one is defective and you installed a new one , it will pull down the available power to crank the engine properly. It has to have 2 good batteries. Make sure the cables are clean and not corroded internally.