Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

59 Galaxie temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Default 59 Galaxie temp sensor

Can someone tell me what temp sensor I need in order to use the existing dash gauges. I got the fuel gauge to work, all I need now is to figure out how to get the temp gauge to work.
Tahnks

Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM

that's just a matter of finding out if the temp. sensor is for a light or gauge but in something that old it was a gauge if my memory serves me right. but first check to make sure that you're getting a signal to the sensor with a test light. it should be pulsing with the key on. and then make sure the sensor is for a gauge not a light. welcome to the sight.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 PM

Thanks for trying to help me. My problem is, I have the gauge and temp sensor out of the car. I made a volt regulator 12V in 5V out. I use the car batt. to test with. The temp sensor has 2 posts one marked C text one H. Is their a way to attach pictures? I can show you how I tested the fuel gauge. How can you check a 2 prong temp sensor?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:01 PM

I think that the temp sensor is not for that car. the only thing that tells me that is back in the old days there was only one wire that went to the sensor itself located on the engine block near the thermostat housing which also provided the ground completing the circuit. it worked by the resistance of sensor the hotter the temp the less resistance or vise versa and the gauge was in series with the sensor meaning it would only work if the gauge worked as well. you may have to find and buy a new gauge for that car but if you could test that gauge for continuity it will tell you if the gauge is good or bad. that's the gauge with two terminals not the sensor

Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM

I have ordered a wiring manual for the car. The guy that had the car before me, put an updated water & oil gauge combo under the dash. I am not able to locate the existing wiring that went to the sensor. I have tried to order a new temp sensor but the problem I am having is the old threads are 5/8" and the new sensors are 3/8". Maybe you can tell me this, can I put a bushing to reduce it from 5/8 to 3/8 and get a sensor with 18 thread instead of 12 thread?
Thanks

Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM

that might work and make sure that the sensor is for a gauge not a light

Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 AM

The 1957/8 & 9 Fords all use the same 12 volt temp sensor. They are 3/8 in diameter and a single wire. Just buy a brass reducer from 5/8 - 3/8 and use teflon tape on the threads. The temp gauge is like the fuel gauge. If you can locate the wire in the engine harness all you have to do is ground it with the ignition in the on position and the needle will climb up to the H on the gauge. I can't remember for sure but I think the wire is black with green markings. Call a vintage harness maker or supplier and ask them if the could tell you what colour that wire is in the engine harness. You will probably have to peel back a bit of the harness wrapping to find the temp wire and to see the colour code of it.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Default Temp sensor

I was able to buy a temp sensor with 5/8" threads. The fuel and temp gauge both have a reduced voltage going to them. 12v to 5v. I have 2 fuel gauges, I got one to work and other not working. The fuel gauge that works has 4.8v going into the back of gauge. I checked to see if I have the same going out of the gauge and I do. I also have to temp gauges, I have 4.8v going in but nothing coming out. I have to assume that both gauges are bad unless I am missing something.
Thanks for your help.
Paul

Old 03-16-2014, 04:07 PM

both gauges are bad if nothing is coming out them. so then you may have to use the after market gauge until you can find and purchase one that works