Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

63 Falcon Panel Wagon?

Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 AM
Default 63 Falcon Panel Wagon?

I was curious if this Falcon is a panel wagon im pretty sure its a 63, I got a new motor going into it here in the next week or so. Should be a very fun time.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15562/6CA652A6437B47DD8796F0FC6A43F6EB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Default RE: 63 Falcon Panel Wagon?

The correct term is Sedan Delivery. In the 50's Ford called them Courier, but by the Falcon years they did not have a name. They are pretty rare. The Ford Pickup Red Book says there were 925 of the 78A body code built, and only 113 of the 78B "Deluxe" built in 1963. Too bad about the raped rear wheelwells though.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 AM

thanks I cant wait to get this thing down the strip.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 AM

Yes it's a panel wagon. Basically just refers to a station wagon with sheet metal panels where windowswould usually be. Thus panel wagon evolved. Way back they were called panel trucks (because they began off a basic truck chassis - and no windows of course). If you're planning on racing with a bigger engine you may want to try adding some unibody supports.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:42 PM

Its got a 460 going into it- should be making around 550

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM

Just to straighten out terminology, PANEL delivery denotes itis truck (F Series) based, and shares truckfront sheetmetal. A SEDAN delivery is car based, in this case Falcon, and shares passenger car sheetmetal. Goingstrong is basically correct, except that it is not sheetmetal panels, but it has never been cut for glass. There is not a removable panel (like the Pinto sedan delivery)that you can install on a 2 Door wagon to make a sedan delivery. I have owned a couple of Falcon based sedan deliveries. They are a rare piece of Ford history.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 AM

Just to clear up what I meant - by sheetmetal panel I meant Quarter panel or rear fender panel. I understand there is no glass frame that's obvious and if there was I would simply call it a station wagon because of its low ground clearance and window availability. Plus I said "NO" windows - not possible windows. And by the way - panel wagon is another off reference to a modified newer station wagon(basically) with low ground clearance which means a car platform in many cases unless it's way old in which case all ground clearances were higher due to overall road conditions so they all had the look of a truck at one point and were nicer to work on (though early wagon had wood bodies and tailgates like a truck for loading - unlike the newer metal with imitation wood decals). The real question is what are the main differences between the 1931 panel delivery, sedan delivery and station wagon chassis'? Way back could panel truck and panel wagon (Sedan delivery/station wagon) have been close enough to be confused? Am I too tired at 1 to 3 AM with insomnia to care? But I do like the removable panel idea as long as there's enough bolting it in. I remember pinto wagons - didn't know the panels could come out. That would be nice on a pickup truck bed cap. Bolt-in windows for better vision and regular driving - metal panels for hauling. Oh well - lots of good ideas passed over the years like the 1976 Ford Elites ratcheting e-brake pedal. By the way sedan delivery and station wagon shared some of the same parts at one point. And if sedan delivery shared parts with panel delivery then I could be confused at some point. After over 30 years only some remain without lung death from brake dust or paint (when did they start using masks in the mainstream?) I wonder if the first Ford vehicles were painted by brush (like 30's pinstripes). At any rate laquer paint and old metal rules. Computer cars suck. I'm tired and passing out so goodnight (or whatever). P.S. See that - you nitpick the tired and you get and blathering paragraph.