Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Need help on carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 PM

I was thinking that something is up with the fuel pump, but its a brand new one. I was gonna pick up another but ran out of money at this time, and since they are 40 to 50 bucks. i have to wait till next pay day to try that out.
The floats go up and down as they are suppose to be and are 1/4'' from top when full.
Thank you again.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Either you are not following the directions that should have come with the rebuild kit or you are winging it and that is not good! There is a prescribed way to check and set the correct float level. Would you like for me to explain it to you? If you are going to do the job, do it right. I can help you if you so choose. Let me know ! Thanks, hanky

Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM

have you had the dist. checked out the rubber in the vacuum adv. could be cracked or broken

Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Ya i replaced all the hoses when I first got the car, and I double checked them just in case after reading your response.

I think I may need to add a manual choke. It seems when the car warms up is when I have the problems. So I am thinking the choke is sticking or not working right.

I will let you guys know when I get that changed to see if that works.

Thank you again.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:00 PM

I will try to explain just what happens involving the choke system.
1. When the engine is cold and you depress the acelerator pedal part way the temperature sensitive choke coil spring causes the choke to snap shut.
On some carbs this is one of the adjustments. If there is too much tension, the choke pull off will open the choke to get the cold engine started, but there is so much tension the heat will never allow it to open fully.

2. Upon starting, the engine vacuum works against the choke spring and pulls the choke open enough to allow the engine to run smoothly. Referred to as choke pull off , it is one of the important adjustments when rebuilding a carb.

3. After the choke coil is heated , either by electric or exhaust manifold heat via a tube from the exhaust manifold the choke remains FULLY open (butterfly is vertical).

4. Don't rely on the previous person's adjustments, they could be wrong as many are. The carb kit should have given you the correct SEQUENCE AND ADJUSTMENT DIMENSIONS TO USE WHEN REBUILDING THE CARB. If they didn't, let me know I will try to get them for you.

5. There is nothing like cranking the engine up and the darn thing runs just like you would expect, perfect! 99% of the time you don't have to change any of the adjustments to fine tune it. Sometimes a minor adjustment to idle speed , mixture, choke opening linkage is required, but when you followed the correct procedure and you are familiar with the adjustments and its a pleasure to fine tune them to obtain a good running engine.

6. As you can tell, I enjoyed rebuilding carbs because when done correctly the reward is right there!
Do a thorough & complete job, and do it right , the reward is there when it does just what you want! hanky

Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 AM

Awesome Hanky, that's great information. I will go over the instruction on my own, and check everything. I cant thank you enough for the info you provided, that helped me understand carbs a great deal more.

The think that did give me most problem the day i was driving it home. is the butterfly was not all the way open, but moving it by hand all the way open kept killing the car, like it was getting to much air.
Thinking back I think it may need to have air adjustment messed with like you were saying.

Again thank you and I'll let ya know how things work in the next few days.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 AM

Something to consider..................... if the engine falters when you open the choke fully and the engine is warm---------- you have a vacuum leak somewhere! If that is the case, use a piece of hose and listen around all the vacuum hoses, if there is a leak you'll hear it. The other way is to spray carb /choke cleaner arount the lines and if the engine speed changes you've located it. Last,but not least------- if you have a leaking intake manifold gasket , place a piece of paper on the oil fill hole with the PCV hose & valve removed and hole plugged. If the paper gets sucked in toward the valve cover you found your vacuum leak. Don't want to go overboard here its best to check one thing at a time namely why isn't the choke butterfly opening all the way when warm. Let me know what you have found. hanky