Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Rookie move, wait I am a total rookie!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 10:25 AM
Gil
Default Rookie move, wait I am a total rookie!

When I first started deconstruction on my 63 Fairlane 500 I thought I would have it put back together in a few months. Well, well, well, that is not the case. I'm finally going to be ready for paint by month end and I've been getting all my parts together. The only problem I think I'm going to have it getting the door glass back in, I did not take pictures, I did not mark the hardware I put in baggies. I'm sure I know what goes in, just not how the inside hardware is installed. I haven't tried yet I'm just thinking ahead. I've seen youtube videos on galaxies and mustangs and it's pretty much the same, they don't show the inside of the door and that's what I need. Long story short, anyone know if any video/pictures/diagram that shows how the inside looks? Thanks for any help.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:18 PM

If you managed to take it apart, you will probably be able to put it together.

These are manual controlled , I believe.
Usually the scissor assy has a gear that indexes with the window crank handle,
There is usually 2 posts on one end of the scissor assy that go into the bottom of the window glass slide. The posts are usually held in place with a type of horseshoe retainer.
The difficult part is , some were held in place with rivets. If you work the scissor assy a few times it will all come back to you. You may need to get hold of a pop rivet gun and install tool along with the correct size pop rivets. Do you remember if you had to drill out 2 or 3 rivets per scissor assy?
As a last resort , an auto glass repair shop may be able to help you get the parts lined up so you can do the install.
It is not that bad , and as I said earlier, if you managed to take it apart, the assembly will come easier to you.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:35 PM
Gil

The scissor assembly is still in the door and I can still get it up/down with crank. I do remember seeing some (horseshoe brackets in a bag. The window channel that the main window slides into is attached to the vent window and it is attached with rivets or some other type of, barrel rivets? The main window and vent window came out in once piece(each). I will have to drill out the rivets on vent window to get new channel installed. Maybe once I get in there things will look familiar. I do remember being pretty easy once I figured out how everything moves. Ok then, when I get to that bridge I'll see what's what. Thanks hanky, just talking it over with someone made it sound a little easier. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-16-2021, 02:00 PM

If I remember correctly, boy that's a big IF !
The window channel; on the rear of the door , is held with one bolt and if removed will allow you to either replace the channel or reinstall the glass into the channel on assembly. If you take your time and go slowly you should be able to figure it out.
The most difficult part is hoping you don't cut up your hands working around some of the sharp edges inside the doors.
Sometime you can just pull the old channel out and press the replacement channel in. If I remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you can install the channel in one piece coming up the rear and going across the top to the vent side. Until you get everything where you want it, you can use some WD 40 sprayed into the window channel to make it easier to move the glass. Don't worry about the WD40 , it will evaporate.. Once you do one side the rest will seem easy..
That rear channel mounting is usually adjustable and if you allow the window to set the channel in the right place , all you need to do then is secure it in place with the bolt.