Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

96 Ford Contour HeadGasket or NO?!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Default 96 Ford Contour HeadGasket or NO?!

I apoligize if this question has allready been answered somewhere or i am posting in the wrong place, sorry to be the new guy.

Anyways, I just wanted to make sure it is definetly the head gasket before i go tearing apart the engine and spending way to much time on this..

My friend isnt a certified "technician" but he has worked on cars for quite some time and says he is pretty sure that it is the head gasket.

Ive got the 96 contour 4 cyl. dual head cam.

The car started overheating recently (probably from high rpm's because of another reason) and I havent been able to drive it since. (or everytime i do, it instantly overheats as soon as it warms up) When the car does overheat after warming up steam starts flying out of the back right corner of the engine(corner closest to the drivers seat). I noticed that my antifreeze is dropping rapidly so i am assuming that that is what is steaming off.

However< ive heard of people having similar problems and it turns up just a thermostat problem or something along those lines.. that would be 5 times easier to fix.. so before i start tearing apart the engine, I was wondering if any of you have had or heard of a similar expierence that my shed soem light on this before i start taking it apart.

Thanks for your help

JD

Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 AM
WSW

may a bad heater hose ?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM

do a leak down test.

If it passes this test it is a coolant leak.
For sure a new thermostat will not fix your problem.

No need to hate any car for it's country of origin.

Peace!